Monday, August 12, 2013

Fabric Stash

Ok so I have totally struggled with organizing my fabric stash for years. Prior to moving into my sewing room last fall, I kept my fabric in plastic bins in my garage. It was a pain to trek out to the garage, but it was the only place I had until I got my very own sewing room last fall. Here is a link for my sewing room tour and it is still a work in progress (I am trying to incorporate some more color in there!) http://tanyaquiltsinco.blogspot.com/2013/06/sewing-room-tour.html.

My sewing room has a small walk-in closet with a sliding pocket door that does not work  I moved the fabric bins out of the garage and into closet, so my stash is constantly beckoning me.

My bins are organized by color for the most part with some exceptions for bins of batiks, 30's fabrics, brushed cotton, wool, flannel, etc. The cute tags were designed and made by my teenager when she was bored on some hot summer days.

I have not counted my bins, but there are lots!

I make lots of scrap quilts and struggled with how to make my scraps easy to access. I used to have the scraps in Ziplock bags within my fabric tubs, but it was not very functional. I broke down and bought these three drawer carts and put them under my cutting table. Each drawer is a color and they are easy to remove and dig through. I don't love how they look, but it is so much easier to find that little bit of fabric I need.

My stash is enormous, but it is not all my fault. My sister gave up quilting and I inherited her stash in April and it included 15 garbage bags of fabric. Her is a post about those treasures http://tanyaquiltsinco.blogspot.com/2013/06/fabric-inheritance.html Plus, I truly use the fabric in my stash and I tend to buy fabric as I find it even without knowing how I will eventually use it. I hope this makes you feel like your stash is not out of control because looking at these pictures makes me think I don't need to buy any more fabric for a very long time, but sadly I have a pretty hefty list of fabric I need to buy to finish up some UFOs...Thanks for stopping by! There are many stash links from the the link below.

http://sarahquilts.com/2013/08/01/theory-thursday-you-show-me-yours-ill-show-you-mine-linky-party/



10 comments:

  1. Wow! Your stash is fantastic! I read the post about your fabric inheritance - sounds like so much fun to have all of the fabric AND the ufo's to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait till I get someone else's stash! That'd be amazing. :) For now I have to settle for being the go to person for old men's shirts.

    Thank you so much for sharing. We are learning so much! Especially from people who have been quilting longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice stash! I just donated 7 shopping bags of fabric to Project Linus and I don't miss any of it! My goal is to someday use up my stash, so I actually have a reason to go fabric shopping! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. A nice stash makes a very happy quilter. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmm... I think you have a wonderful stash of fabrics! I use plastic bins to sort my fabrics. I use the same color method as you do, with CW and reproductions in a separate bin, as well as 30's, and holiday specific fabrics in their own bins. It works!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like you have a wonderful stash to play with and have at least a good idea where to go look for what you need for a project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love my stash too and hope that I am able to cut into every delicious piece for years to come! I view it as an investment for later when $$ may be focused on other things and fortunately my tastes haven't changed... I pretty much love ALL fabric. Your system looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that's what I call an inheritance! You're really organized. I think storing scraps is the hardest thing to effectively store in a quilt space but you've handled that too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tonya, I loved seeing your quilting space and reading about it. It is wonderful that you inherited your sisters garbage bags of fabric - jealous! My sewing space is small too so I can really relate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes I get overwhelmed if things start to pile up so I like your tote ideas! I feel much more productive when everything has a place. Thanks for sharing at my Organizational linky. You post helps.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!