Monday, June 24, 2013

Sewing Room Tour

Carol had the idea of posting tours of our sewing rooms.  I only set my sewing room up about 9 months ago, before that I sewed in my dining room. When I was setting it up, I spent lots of time online looking for advice and ideas.  I am still looking for some more pieces still and I feel it is a work in progress. I love having a space where I can just shut the door and leave everything out.  The room is 12 x 12, has a small walk-in closet, and 2 windows which let in lots of natural light.
I used bed lifts to make the table higher and easier for cutting. The cabinets above my cutting table and sewing machine used to be in our laundry room, but we remodeled the kitchen and laundry room and repurposed many of the cabinets to the garage and my sewing room. I am saving that blank wall there for something special.
The hope chest is great for laying out stuff and quilt storage.
Here is when the sewing machine cabinet is open and in use....
Here it is when it is closed. The mason jars are full of pearl cotton balls.
I am a TV junkie and the 32 inch flat screen fits perfect on top of the armoire. My mom and dad gave me the TV for my birthday! The armoire holds a ton of stuff and is easily accessible.
The walk-in closet has a pocket door that I never even close and that little book case was a garage sale find that fits perfectly to hold my books, binders, and buttons. I am in the process of separating my buttons by color and putting them in jelly jars.
Most of my stash fits in the closet, but I will admit there are a few tubs out in the garage!
My daughter has been designing cute labels for my fabric tubs which are mostly separated by color, flannel, wool felt, batiks, 30's, brushed cotton etc.
I love this little fake wood stove. Another gift from mom and dad! It also is a heater and helps make the room cozy in the winter, after all I am in Colorado.
I pilfered this chair from my guest room and it is great for hand sewing or when my familt visits. I am still trying to work out where I can manage a design board and would like to make some of those crate ottomans I have seen on Pinterest.  As I type this, my hubby is installing a small ceiling fan because when I brought a regular fan in it blew my fabric everywhere. The room is at the front of the house, so I see the comings and goings of the neighborhood and watch the deer and bunnies that hang out in our neighborhood.

 I absolutely adore having a dedicated sewing room! Thanks for visiting!

10 comments:

  1. What a great space! Even if it has only been 9 months, you have a great start! I love the old ladder--I have one in my guest room. At my last house, I had a walk-in closet full of tubs, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your sewing room Tanya. It looks like you have things arranged well to make the most of the space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! love your delightful sewing room...very creative.

    :) Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really cool! If I ever got mine cleaned up, I would do a blog post about my sewing room. Thanks for sharing! Oh, you won our giveaway for the Kathy Schmitz book! I'll be emailing you this morning. Thanks for supporting the blog!

    Cheery wave from Bev

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice space. You've organized it beautifully, so I'm betting it's your favorite place in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a great space there! I love that you included a comfy chair for hand-sewing and a shelf just for books. I've had that fabric-blowing-everywhere problem with fans too! A ceiling fan will be just the thing. :) The color jars of threads are beautiful and I bet the buttons will be equally so. www.quiltartbymegan.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love getting a peek into your creative space Tonya!! (A longgg weekend is coming up for us soon!! Hope your holiday is great!) V

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the little woodstove! So Colorado-y!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. That's a great space. With the TV and the view, you have nearly no reason to leave the room all day :)

    You may have stolen the chair from your guest room, but I stole our whole guest room for my craft room :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awe - it's beautiful! So warm and cozy.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!