Sunday, June 30, 2013

Fabric Inheritance

Back in February, my sister called me up and told me she had decided to give up quilting and wanted to give me her stash.  First, I was shocked because she is a great quilter with a good eye for fabric combinations.  She also had a vast stash. She is going to concentrate on knitting. 

Every weekend we tried to meet half way between our houses the weather was bad or one of us had an obligation. Finally, my daughter and I made it to Denver during the first week of April to pick up her stash.  There were 15 kitchen trash bags full! Not only was there yardage and fat quarters, but also 4 block of the month projects, at least a half dozen kits, and many UFOs. It took 2 days to go through and the help of my teenager with sorting and folding.

My sister told me she would love to receive some of her unfinished projects as gifts back from me. Score! So not only did I get all this great fabric, but her presents for several years will be the products of it.


This embroidered Christmas BOM was a UFO. Tiffany, my sister, had embroidered 9 out of the 11 months.  I finished up the other 2 months, pieced the whole thing together, and hand quilted it with pearl cotton. When this BOM was available, I had made one for myself...So this one will be gifted back to her eventually.


This lap quilt was another UFO she had.  The blocks were pieced, but I had to dig through the stash to find more of the white for the sashing. I used my mom's long arm and quilted it myself. I sent it to her for her birthday yesterday and she loved it!


This is a table runner that the top was done. Since it was so small, I decided to hand quilt it with pearl cotton. I used a tutorial from Anka's Treasures to help with the abnormal binding and it came out perfect! Not sure where this one will end up. I continue to make my way through my inherited UFO's and the big piles of my own. All I can say is I am so thrilled to have inherited everything!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow you have a great sister!! I have a cousin who gave me most of her stash for the same reason! It sure was fun looking through every piece of fabric. The ones I could not use, I passed on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is my kind of inheritance,how fun! No doubt your sister will love her gifts,since she actually picked them.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!