Sunday, August 11, 2013

Coloring Quilts

Ok, so I talked about my love of enbroidering with perle cotton in my last blog and I got lots of inquiries and questions. Another trick I like for embroidering is coloring. All you need is a plain old box of Crayola Crayons. I embroider first because it helps me stay within the lines when I color.

These blocks are part of the Row Along quilt going on over at thepaintedquilt.blogspot.com/. Kaaren shows the quilt done in redwork style with red embroidery floss, but I thought it would be super cute to embroider it in spring time colors and then I thought adding the coloring would be another colorful dimension.

After coloring, I heat set the coloring with a paper towel placed over it and a dry, hot iron on top. Do not move the iron just set it on top and the excess crayon will go onto the paper towel. I have had coloring quilts for over ten years that have been washed and have held up great.

This is a coloring quilt that was a BOM at the Country Loft last year. The kits were a birthday present from my mom and dad and I just love how it turned out.  It is called "Alphabet Tags." Thanks for stopping by and please let me know if you have any questions about coloring quilts.

2 comments:

  1. I love the colored embroideries! I sure give it a try. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I love the look of adding the color to embroidery designs. Did you use wax crayons? I was wondering how permanent the color would be after several washings? One day I hope to experiment with a similar project!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!