Sunday, August 17, 2014

FNSI & Week in Review

 I reported to work on Wednesday for back to school meetings and school starts tomorrow. When I first go back to work after the whole summer off, I come home very exhausted and struggle to get dinner on the table. I decided to prepare a double meal of one of my hubby's favorites-- zucchini pie. We have tons of zucchini from our garden, so I am always on the lookout for recipes that include them. A few years ago I found a recipe for zucchini pie in Taste of Home Simple & Delicious, I modified it...
Zucchini Pie
Ingredients:
  • 1 tube of crescent rolls (I use reduced fat, generic)
  • cooking spray
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 2 cups zucchini chopped
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons of basil (fresh or dried) 
  • 2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
  • 1 cup chopped ham
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese
  • 3/4 cup cheddar/Monterey jack cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Saute chopped onion, zucchini, and basil in olive oil. 
2. While veggies cook, spray pie pan with cooking spray. Place crescent rolls in the pie pan and spread over the bottom and up the sides. It is ok if they are thin. Drizzle Dijon mustard on top of the crescent roll crust.
3. When zucchini and onions are tender, stir in ham, and turn off heat. In a mixing bowl, hand beat the eggs.  Stir in veggies and cheese. Mix well. Pour into crescent roll crust. Bake for 30 minutes. 
4. Let rest for 5 minutes and serve. You can also serve it cold like a quiche. It is also very easy to double the recipe!

Try it, you will love it and leave out the ham for any vegetarians you may have!
I did manage to participate in Friday Night Sew In (FNSI), but all I really could work on was my Quilty Stitches sampler. Check out what everyone else is up to here http://sugarlanequilts.blogspot.com/2014/08/fnsi-sign-ups-for-friday-night-sew-in.html
Saturday was our daughter's 16th birthday, so I did not have that much time to sew... I plan on working some more on this tonight for Slow Sunday Stitching http://www.kathysquilts.blogspot.ca
 I have been participating in a BOM quilt along for this Country Homecoming quilt.
I managed to piece the top this week. I am going to use wool felt for the border stars, berries, and vine and embroider some details on the houses. I have until mid-September to have the top completed, so I better get busy!
I also cut and pieced this Lucky Stars quilt. My sister had a pack of Heather Bailey's Up Parasol fat quarters sent to me. She wants a quilt for one of her friends. There were 15 fat quarters and 3 of them were solids, so I hit my LQS and bought some additional fat quarters. I used a slate Kona to set the stars and I am going to find a gray for the backing. I took this picture on our garden's fence because it is tall to keep the deer out and can display big quilts.
My dogs and my neighbor's chickens cannot figure out what I am doing when I am outside taking pictures. My dogs watch me and the chickens get boisterous. 

My days of being a taxi driver should be over tomorrow because my daughter is taking her driving test. It should increase my sewing time!!! Have a great week!





27 comments:

  1. It is fun to see your cross stitching project each week. Those quilts are nice too. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially love the houses quilt! A houses quilt is on my " bucket list" :) thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smart woman to cook two meals. Little things like that will help until your body gets acclimated. I do like the quilted sampler. The border/sashng may be an easy relaxing project after a work day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zucchini pie looks delicious!
    And the cross stitch is so lovely and close to finished.
    Lovely work on all your quilts. i like the idea of the wool in the borders around the houses. i am collection some wool pieces to play with some small quilt blocks.
    The stars are lovely too. Great ideas for finishing that one.
    Good luck to your daughter for her driving test and enjoy all that free time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love your Stitch sampler. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that pie looks sooo yummy! Will give it a try for sure!
    Good luck first day back... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Several lovely eye-candy projects here and zucchini pie is not a recipe that I've seen before / going to save this one to try it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Back to school. That will cut into your quilting time.

    You are getting close to finishing the house quilt. I have admired that design ever since I first saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are making great project on your stitchery!
    Love the houses quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your Lucky Stars quilt and your houses quilt looks wonderful. I hope work isn't too bad. Good luck to your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. First I LOVE seeing you house quilt finished!! Three cheers!!! Second, I can't believe you even had the energy to write out that recipe! LOL!! Today was my first day back and it was only an in-service day and I'm already tired!! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for linking this under our Tuesday Archives Houses theme!! Have you posted it finished???

      Delete
  12. hallo.... blog reading from FNSI.... what lovely quilts you have.. the wool addition to the houses will be lovely...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous quilts, thanks for stitching with me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahahaha... boisterous chickens! ;)
    your recipe looks great!
    I love those two beautiful quilts and your cross stitch sampler. Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! I plan on trying your recipe soon. Also, I really like the work and quilts I see on your blog, so I am adding you to my blog roll.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your recipe sounds wonderful! I miss having a vegetable garden. I always had one when I lived in Ohio. Here in NC I have clay and shade which is not conducive to a garden. Your quilts a re adorable. Love the house quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your Quilty Stitches sampler is beautiful. I was tempted by that stitch-along but decided there weren't enough hours in the day. Seeing yours I think perhaps I should have squeezed some time out... Your two quilts are lovely as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The quilts are wonderful but I am so taken with that little quilty stitches sampler. Adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have been a busy stitcher, Tanya! Incredible work! Love the Quilty Stitches sampler. And those two quilt tops are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Seriously, I am making
    Zucchini Pie tomorrow night! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the recipe Tanya and your projects are just beautiful! I love working with wool -- what a great addition to your house blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi! I see that your Quilty Stitches blocks are almost done. When I saw the start of your grey borders, the benefice of using grey was not apparent to me. Now that I see more of it, I notice that the blocks will stand out prettily. The colors stand out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your stitch sampler looks amazing with incredible precision. Is it a wall hanging? I like your quilt tops too. Hurray for you and your daughter. My son got his license beginning of this month and its been great. But I do have a one year old who keeps me from sewing big-time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such beautiful quilts! Country Homecoming is wonderful, and Lucky Stars is gorgeous. Awesome quilts!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!