Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Scrappy Bag Challenge

So, I was asked to donate a bag/purse for an upcoming silent autction for one of our local charter schools. I donated one last year and of course bought a bag when I attended. They need it by the end of August.  I started digging through my stash because I really didn't want to buy anything. I found a charm pack of Swell by Urban Chicks for Moda (part of my fabric inheritance from my sister). I also started thinking about the hexagon tote bag pattern I had seen as part of the new book A Quilting Life by Sherri McConnell. The pattern was also in a magazine from a couple of years ago that was sitting on my shelf already.

The magazine picture hooked me, but I was scared to death of the insetting for the hexagons. I usually avoid complicated patterns and do not challenge myself very often. The cutting was pretty easy and that gave me a little confidence...


It took me all day Saturday to sew together the six rows of hexagons. I was so intimidated by the hexagons, I kept avoiding my sewing room. I cleaned bathrooms, did laundry, and in between slaved at the sewing machine. I quilted it on Monday morning on my little retro light green Singer Featherweight at our weekly gathering.



The light is not the best in these pictures, but I love the retro look.  All the fabric came from my stash, but I did have to break down and buy some heavy weight interfacing. I added an inside pocket and my measurements were right on.


I hope it brings a good price because sewing those hexagons was much more work than I thought! And now I will continue to avoid insetting especially hexagons...


5 comments:

  1. But it's so cute! If you do more it will get easier right? :-) Very cute bag. Great job! K-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you tell me what magazine that was in? I have been wanting to try hexagons. Your bag is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I do love your hexagon bag and it's a great way to use up scraps of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh this was definitely worth all the work. What a gorgeous bag.

    Michelle :o)
    http://stitchunpickrepeat.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!