Thursday, October 1, 2020

Scrappy Mountain Majesties Finish


This beauty is on its way to Alaska! I used Bonnie Hunter's free pattern for Scrappy Mountain Majesties, except I only made 48 blocks and set them sideways. You can tell that I washed it due to the crinkly goodness and it shrank a little and now measures 44 x 44.5 inches--nearly square. I made the top completely from my stash--if I ever make a bigger one, I think I would mix up the pieces of the block so it looks scrappier.
I quilted it with my favorite and forgiving wavy stitch horizontally every 2 inches following the seams.
The backing is yellow minky for the cold Alaska winters and I used Warm & White batting. I have a new roll of batting that arrived today. My only actual purchase to make this quilt was the backing...

I have two more baby quilts to hurry up and finish because I want to send my Pfaff to Denver with my parents to be dropped off for service. Service is taking five weeks and I also have to figure out how to pick it up. My sister lives in Denver, so I can probably have her get it for me. But, we are getting into weather season soon, so I will probably be without it for a couple of months. I can use my Juki for piecing and straight line quilting in the meantime.

I signed up to make another quilt for a foster child. This time I am making something for a 16 year old male who likes the color red and football. I ordered red and black fabrics to make another "Touchdown Quilt" and Rachel volunteered to quilt it up. Gwen who organizes this charity has asked that we add in something special for Xmas too--I hope to get some more information about him, so we can include some good gifts. I think this batch of kids have all been claimed, but I encourage you to follow @quiltforachild 
https://www.instagram.com/quiltforachild/on Instagram. Most of the foster kids that these donated quilts go to live in institutions and have very few possessions. They request twin size quilts for their beds--I think it is a wonderful cause!

2 comments:

  1. this is beautiful. and i love the idea of making a quilt for a foster child....what a sweet idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a pretty quilt, Tanya! I really like the layout and flow of color. I'll have to follow that organization on Instagram - it sounds like a good one!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!