Monday, December 30, 2019

Ending the 2019 Strong!

I usually know when teachers are expecting at one of my schools, but I was surprised the week before Winter Break to find out that one of our male teachers was due to have a baby within a week. Austin was delivered on Saturday 12/21, so I started digging in my stash immediately. My spies informed me that navy and grays were the nursery color. I decided to make the Name Quilt from Spelling Bee by Lori Holt. I made a six inch block of Grandpa's Truck from her Farm Girl Vintage 2. I made mine slightly larger than the pattern. This project is definitely my Drop Everything and Make It for December---here is the link for other DrEAMi! projects:
I bought some gray minky to use for the backing and I will get it quilted up this week. Stay tuned for my first finish of 2020!
Rachel longarmed this old Sister's Choice UFO for me. She did an all over leaf pattern. It is rustic and lovely--perfect for a lodge-style home in Breckenridge. I finished binding it before Christmas and it will be sent to my daughter's friend as a thank you gift ASAP.
 The leaf quilting is very detailed and she used a rust colored thread which is perfect.
Here is the backing after washing it is 64 x 74 inches, so a good size for a lap quilt.
Bonnie Hunter released her Frolic Mystery Quilt Clue 5 yesterday. I wasn't finished with Clue 4 quite yet, but between binge watching the second season of You on Netflix with my daughter in my sewing room--I got Clue 5 completed
as well as Clue 4. We still haven't touched our greens, but I have been keeping up! https://quiltville.blogspot.com/p/frolic-mystery.html
 Before Thanksgiving, I stopped by my favorite antique store and scored five milk glass lace edge candy dishes. Three are small and two are larger. I already have a larger one that I use to hold my binding clips and thread. I paid $15 for all of them which is a great buy! I gifted a large one to my mom for Christmas with scissors and Wonder Clips.
I turned this small one into a pin cushion for my longarm friend, Rachel.
I also completed my One Monthly Goal for December--to get my Ombre Gems top completed and I also ordered a backing for it. It will go into the to be quilted queue very soon. 
I have four more baby quilts to make for spring arrivals. One of my coworkers is expecting identical twin boys in March. I hit a great sale at Connecting Threads and ordered the pattern and fabrics to make two Bjorn Bear Baby Quilts. One will have a mint green background and the other will have a light blue background. I am planning on making the bears from the same fabrics for each quilt.
I made a Bjorn Pillow as a sample for my local quilt shop a few summers ago and I am looking forward to crafting some more cute bears.

I have also been working on my Sunday Best Sampler Quilt--I have all the blocks done and now I am getting them ready to sew together. My blocks were made from my Bonnie and Camille scraps, so they are stunning and deserve their own post.

Happy New Year!




6 comments:

  1. Oh, my, I came here to see your squirrel (there’s nothing like baby news for a squirrelly moment, is there?), and it is so sweet with the name and the truck. But that candy dish!! I’ve never thought of that. Genius with the pin cushion and scissors. That will be my next quest when I’m poking around at the antique mall. My mom had a milk glass candy dish, but I don’t think it had the lace edge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've had a productive vacation. Enjoy the rest of your daughter's visit home.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ombre quilt is gorgeous! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a fantastic job in such a short time on the Austin baby quilt. The teachers are lucky to have you as their fellow quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finishes! Love the cute baby quilt. That's a great idea, putting his name with fast to put together squares. Great find on the candy dishes. I have my eye out for one but I don't shop much so that makes finding one a little difficult, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of a pin cushion in a candy dish! And the holes around it to hang my little scissors! Genius! I'll have to go to the thrift shop and look around. I also love the baby quilt made with Lori Holt patterns; I love her books too. And I love, love Elizabeth Hartmann.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!