Sunday, August 18, 2019

Summer Sunflowers


 Our sunflower patch is in full bloom this week! A couple of the plants are over 12 feet high. 
My hubby planted several types.
 We have orange ones,
 yellow with orange,
 smaller varieties,
 heirlooms,
light yellow,
and this maroon kind that looks purplish black. We are thrilled with how they look! My hubby is already planning on a bigger patch next year. Several of our neighbors have stopped by to admire them and the funniest comment was, "Are you growing Jack's beanstalk?" That was before they had started blooming.
 I was officially back to work on Thursday, but I have been slowly working on my classroom set up for the last few weeks. I altered Lori Holt's cross stitch design "Eat. Sleep. Stitch. Repeat." to "Eat. Read. Sleep. Repeat." I have a frame ordered and will display this in my classroom. It was fun to cross stitch again especially a simple project with bigger Aida cloth--I used 11 x 11 count and DMC perle cotton  #8 color 310. You can check out everyone's Slow Sunday Stitching here:

I like my classrooms to be cozy, cheerful, and comfortable for my students and me. I think we all work better in a pleasant environment. My home base classroom got moved and is getting a facelift--some fake plants, a chalkboard painted door, some burlap borders, some throw rugs, etc. I am using my sunflowers as my inspiration--black (I always like it as a neutral) with yellow.
Our daughter turned 21 years old on Friday! She is in Singapore on a research trip paid for by her university. When she returns in a week, she will start her senior year. Where has the time gone? 

I have a baby quilt to get done and some secret sewing for the Fat Quarter Shop coming. 
Have a great  week!






11 comments:

  1. Love, love, LOVE your sunflowers!!! More next year, MORE! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sunflowers are amazing! Have a great beginning to your school year, Tanya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sunflowers are so beautiful. I am thinking of growing some on my sunny side of the garden, but wonder if they will survive the NM 100+ temperatures. I had no idea that there were so many varieties!

    Your cross stitch project would perfect for you your classroom. I had the same theory as you - a cozy classroom. Mine was filled with lamps, a cozy reading corner and various "personal desks" set up as work stations. I'm so glad your students have such a thoughtful teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sunflowers are always so cheerful. How can you not smile when you look at them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous flowers! Ours just finally died out...
    Happy 21 to Heather! I remember her as a little girl at your home when we did our "Quilt Cult" group! I still miss that group...Have a great school year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those sunflowers are amazing. Happy Birthday to your daughter. Time certainly does fly. I love your school cross-stitch. I would love to add one to my own classroom, but I share part of it with the shop class and it is usually covered in dust. I don't bring anything I want to keep nice into my room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sunflowers are such a happy flower. Your garden is smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe your daughter is a senior. I remember when you were sending her off for her freshman year to a school far from home (but just hours from me).
    Your sunflowers are spectacular. I tried to grow them one year, but something (rabbits, woodchucks, deer) ate all the seedlings as soon as they came up and the deer have eaten the buds off any volunteers that show up from birdseed.
    Pat

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sunflowers are amazing! I hope you have a wonderful school year, and happy birthday to your girl! I didn't know our girls almost share a birthday. It is crazy to think they are already seniors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am jealous of you having all those wonderful sunflowers. Do you save the seeds for anything like birds, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a fun cross stitch for a classroom!
    And amazing sunflowers! WOW! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!