Sunday, March 31, 2019

To Spin a Star Top

Happy Spring! We are having a typical Colorado spring here--it was 70 degrees on Thursday and I wore shorts on my afternoon walk and then Friday it was barely 45 degrees with a cold wind, and now we are having some snowflakes falling.  

This beautiful, scrappy quilt top is my secret sewing for the last month and a half! It is called To Spin a Star and is one of Diane's (from Butterfly Threads) brilliant quilt designs. I got to pattern test it for her. I added some blocks to mine to make it square, so mine is 75" x 75". It would very easy to make a smaller or bigger version. Diane has the pattern download on sale for $5 over on her website right now, here is the link:
The blocks are made quite quickly because they use either the Essential Triangle Tool or the Easy Angle--I already had both in my ruler collection and you probably do too. The pattern is also very 2.5 strip friendly, so I really dug into my 2.5 strip bin and used up lots of scraps.  I love how Diane designed the sashing, so a secondary block is formed at the block corners. 

This has been my Drop Everything and Make it DrEAMi! for February and March. 

How would you have it quilted? I'd love to hear your recommendations. Thank you Diane for trusting me with your new pattern!
For Slow Sunday Stitching, I am binding for my friend Rachel. She is cranking out projects with her longarm for the both of us!
My One Monthly Goal (OMG) for April is to complete this top. I have all of the blocks done, but I need to put it together.

My daughter is coming to Denver for a recruiting trip for her college on April 10th. I got my substitutes lined up, a hotel room booked, and hair appointments scheduled. We will get to hang out for four days and four nights--for girl time, shopping, eating, soaking, etc.! I can't wait!!!! Have a great week.






9 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Tanya for making such a gorgeous version of To Spin A Star. I just love the fabrics you chose!
    Have a great time with your daughter. I'm so happy you will have time with her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your star quilt is beautiful! I love the secondary pattern that is created between the stars, too. Hope you're having a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ENjoy your binding today... nothing better than I hand stitched edge on a wonderful finished quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is beautiful!! We drove to the western slope and got rain, sun, snow, hail and sleet - all in 5 hours - colorado for ya right? ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun scrappy new pattern. Have a great time in Denver.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your visit with your daughter (and that new quilt when it's done, too!)

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!