Sunday, August 21, 2016

I'm Back Exhilarated and Exhausted

My week long adventure of delivering my daughter to Colgate University is officially over. We started off by seeing my college roommate, Lauren, for the first time in 25 years! She is exactly the same and it was like no time had passed.
Monday, we flew very early from Denver to Newark, NJ and picked up our rental SUV and drove 4+ more hours to Syracuse, NY. We went immediately to Target and bought a ton of dorm essentials. Tuesday, we went to Bed Bath and Beyond to pick up all the gear we had selected back at the beginning of July. We also went to TJ Maxx and HomeGoods for more decor things. The shopping was intense and my credit cards got a huge workout! Tuesday was also Heather's 18th Birthday and we celebrated with an amazing seafood dinner at Bonefish Grill.

Wednesday, her roommate moved in and sent pictures of their room and suggestions for things we still needed to pick up. Back for some more shopping and organizing everything we had already bought. It was a good thing I had booked a suite style hotel room.
We moved Heather into her room early Thursday morning. My calves are still sore because moving involved going down three flights of stairs--no elevator! Then, of course up three flights of stairs for another load of gear. It was a good thing that I had a big Explorer and the whole backseat and back for everything.
Heather had been very organized with her packing and everything fit with room to spare. The bed was lofted with the dresser underneath. She added a small rolling cart, her laundry basket, and a shoe rack. Her suitcases fit in behind along with a storage tub. The wardrobe also had three drawers for clothing essentials. Her bedding is gray and coral. If you look carefully, there is no quilt! She did not want one...
After she was all settled in her room, we went around campus for pictures. There was a family dinner for her Alumni Memorial Scholars program and we said our goodbyes. I managed not to cry because it was clear that she is exactly where she belongs! Friday, I managed to find my way back to Newark and flew back to Denver. I spent Friday night with Lauren and then drove 5 hours back yesterday. I am exhausted, but exhilarated because her hard work has paid off.
 There was happy mail for me when I returned. This is a book about Einstein's first wife that I need to read and review by mid-September. I got started last night and I am looking forward to reading more.
My sweet sister sent me the Fat Quarter Shop's Crossroads Quilt Along Kit. I think this will keep me busy and the fabrics are absolutely gorgeous.
I did work on some embroidery while I waited for my flight on Friday and I also managed to read the new Harry Potter play. I plan on relaxing with some more embroidery for Slow Sunday Stitching https://kathysquilts.blogspot.com/2016/08/slow-sunday-stitching_21.html

Now, it is time to work on the empty nest thing!











14 comments:

  1. She looks so happy and grown up!! Now a new chapter for both of you. Congrats, Tanya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter looks so happy:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Transitioning to being an empty nester can be challenging but it does leave you with more time to quilt!!!! My daughter went away to school 7 years ago. She is home visiting this weekend. So nice to have her home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A whole new chapter of your life! Be a little melancholy, but then embrace the changes that come!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lordy....I remember "lofting" out beds in college! Well...here ya go...a whole new chapter awaits!! HOw fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember those days of moving daughters off to college and shopping, shopping, shopping. It looks like a beautiful campus and your daughter fits right in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad everything worked out... that was a lot to organize with the travel and setting up a new life in a new location. Take good care of yourself while you're re-orienting to that empty nest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you both did well and your daughter looks really happy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done! You knew it was going to be busy but with great planning you made it work. Lovely to see your daughter settled in so well.
    Good luck getting used to your empty nest. It took me 6 months to get used to our children leaving home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy for you Tanya that you got all your kids settled... for now :) That is awesome and your youngest looks very at home in her new dorm room and showing off her college! Thanks for sharing those shots... I love the embroidery you are working on here and there and your new quilt kit looks like lots of fun with lots of cool fabrics hidden in that kit too! I really like how Fat Quarter shop does business too! Have a wonderful week and take time each day to enjoy the peace surrounding you and finding a new pace for your home life too! Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucky for both of you that the wonders of modern communication technology and social media mean you'll never be far away no matter the miles. Best wishes to both of you as you start new directions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so happy she's happy and I know that makes you happy too! But no quilt? I bet she asks for one at Christmas! What a lot of travel for you, but sounds like you had it well planned out. Glad it all went so well!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!