Thursday, March 5, 2015

Rainbow Medallion Top #1

I have been making these Medallion Log Cabin blocks as part of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2015, (here is info about that) http://superscrappy.blogspot.com/p/rsc12.html but of course I got impatient and could not just make blue (January), pink (February), and yellow (March) blocks. I decided to truly make the rainbow. I put the first of probably three lap quilts together on Sunday, but it took me until today to get outside in my mud boots for a picture. I kind of wish I had put an emerald green block in, but it is not worth taking it apart to get one in! These blocks are 12 inches and I have a tutorial for them here http://tanyaquiltsinco.blogspot.com/2015/01/scrappy-2015.html

Right now, this quilt measures 60 inches square, but once it is quilted and washed it will shrink a bit. I think it is the perfect size to use during chemo treatments. I am donating this to Happy Chemo as part of the Hands 2 Help 2015 Charity Challenge, here is a link for information http://confessionsofafabricaddict.blogspot.com/p/hands2help_11.html

I think I am going to quilt it organically with a wavy stitch about every half inch. I need to piece a backing, but this is a priority as I have enough blocks to make two more lap quilts.
I got my birds made for the Elephant Parade Quilt Along. I am totally caught up with that and awaiting the instructions for the flower blocks on Sunday. I am going to piece all the rows I can and hopefully have this top finished on Sunday.
Mine has more scrappy elephants, but I am going to set it and quilt it exactly the same way! 

I am taking tomorrow off from work. I have a few errands to run and get to help my teenager get ready for a formal dance--maybe she will let me post a picture of her in her Barbie pink gown. (Fingers crossed!) I plan on spending a big part of my day and evening in my sewing room. I am participating in FNwF too http://stitchingcubbyhole.blogspot.com I will post my accomplishments this weekend. Have a great day!

27 comments:

  1. I love your rainbow log cabin quilt. It will certainly be a blessing to someone going through chemo.

    Enjoy your day off tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your rainbow log cabin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt looks great especially against the blue sky and white snow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't be able to contain myself to one colour either! Your rainbow medallion will surely make someone's day brighter. That elephant quilt is mighty cute! Can't wait to see yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore elephants! That is a beautiful quilt, lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Tanya! Love your rainbow quilt top and I am looking forward to seeing it quilted.... your ideas sound fun! Love your elephant quilt too!! Hope your daughter has a lovely time... have a great weekend! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in love with your rainbow quilt top and I can see why you couldn't stop working on it! It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That medallion log cabin quilt is just stunning! Beautiful colors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful donation quilt the medallion log cabin is going to make. It would cheer me up to have all those colors covering me in a difficult time. Visiting from TGIFF.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It seems like you've been very busy. That new quilt top is lovely and I'm sure whoever ends up with the finished quilt will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Going again and not rushing this time! They wavy stitch will be lovely and gives brilliant texture.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your rainbow quilt is a great way to use scraps when there aren't a whole bunch of each color. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your rainbow log cabin medallion! This would be a terrific group project for scrap busting--thanks for the idea

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love all the colors in the log cabin. I've been wanting to do a quilt like that..... Same colors for each block... I actually started one, but never finished. And of course the elephant quilt is adorable. I need to make one for my littlest guy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing your medaillion quilt!!! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is one awesome rainbow quilt, and the parade of elephants is going to be fun, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow You got that finished quickly! Love Love the elephant quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your medallion quilt is gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing the how-to!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yea! It's together. It looks wonderful! Glad to see it, Tanya.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Rainbow Medallion quilt turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great finish on the quilt top. Love the way it has turned out.
    And I do like the bird blocks,too. The elephant quilt is fun.
    Hope all went well with the formal.

    ReplyDelete
  23. beautiful medallion log cabin quilt (you know I love a rainbow!), and can't wait to see those scrappy elephants!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your rainbow quilt. It is a great way to use scraps up. I'll bet it's also kind of a memory quilt where you can remember the fabrics from other quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your rainbow quilt. It is a great way to use scraps up. I'll bet it's also kind of a memory quilt where you can remember the fabrics from other quilts.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!