Saturday, January 3, 2015

Scrappy 2015!

Happy New Year! I have been seeing everyone's New Year blogs and wrap ups from 2014 and have been pondering what 2015 has in store for my quilting. This orange peel quilt was made completely from my scraps and is my favorite finish from 2014 even if it involved curves (I usually avoid curves!). Twenty years ago this month, I started quilting! Of course being a quilter for 20 years means I have developed quite a fabric stash--with over flowing scrap bins. My focus this year will be working with what I have on hand--scraps, stash, and UFOs.
I have decided to join in on the Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2015 more information can be found here http://superscrappy.blogspot.com/p/rsc12.html or on my sidebar. January's color is blue--regular blue, not navy or turquoise. Here is my blue scrap bin all over my cutting table--I have plenty of blues to work from! 
I cannot remember who made this gorgeous quilt top, but I put a picture of it on my Inspiration board (if anyone knows who made this let me know and I will give them credit and link to their blog)
and I made a purple version in the spring of 2014. I will make blocks for a rainbow version or maybe even two of them each month. This quilt could work for a baby or be made bigger for a lap sized quilt and I can easily quilt it on my Pfaff.
Here are my blue blocks I made yesterday and this morning- I am calling them Medallion Log Cabin blocks. I am using Kona white because I know I can get more than I have on hand if needed, but I do have a few yards already. 
Here are the directions I developed for making these Medallion Log Cabin blocks:
 Here are the pieces and their cut sizes in inches. The color portion of the block requires 2.5 inch wide pieces and the white/background portion uses 1.5 inch wide pieces which gives the blocks a curved look.
 This is the block layout with the pieces.
 Step 1 sew the 1.5 x 2.5 inch background to the 2.5 inch colored square. Of course since we are quilting, you need to use a quarter inch seam for all sewing and press all the seams toward the outside of the block.
 Step 2 add the 1.5 x 3.5 inch background rectangle to the bottom of the Step 1 unit.
 Step 3 add the 2.5 x 3.5 inch colored rectangle to the right side of the block.
 Step 4 add the 2.5 x 5.5 inch colored rectangle to the top of the block.
 Step 5 add the 1.5 x 5.5 inch background rectangle to the left side of the block.
Step 6 add the 1.5 x 6.5 inch background rectangle to the bottom of the block. Make four of these and   put them together to form the block, Medallion Log Cabin.
These are not my blocks, but they are my inspiration! This is the perfect design for some of those odd ball scraps that will not go with much else.
Next up, I have been admiring Kathy's Carrie Nation blocks all 2014. Here are some of Kathy's scrappy rainbow blocks http://kathysquilts.blogspot.com/2015/01/scrappy-challenge-review.html
and here is a link to how to construct the blocks 
Yesterday, I made a couple with bright blue blocks
and a couple with country blues.
 These whirling geese blocks were featured on So Scrappy as an option for people participating in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge here is the link http://superscrappy.blogspot.com/2015/01/rsc15-sampler-block-1-whirling-geese.html. I made a bright blue and a country blue block and will probably build samplers from them.  There is a linking party from So Scrappy that has plenty of inspiration that I am linking with here http://superscrappy.blogspot.com/2015/01/scraphappy-saturday.html
 Onto a UFO project, this is my Sugar Stars designed by Lori Holt. I got Kona navy for the background (I special ordered a bolt at Joann's using a 50% off coupon--the only way to buy solids) and I am using mostly Marmalade prints from Moda's Bonnie and Camille. I made these blocks during the summer on my Featherweight while stitching with my mom and Lindsey. The blocks have been sitting on sewing machine cabinet gathering dust.
I am laying them out on my guest bed/design board and I plan on sewing them together this afternoon and evening while watching the NFL Playoffs. Then, it will go into the flimsy UFO pile awaiting quilting. I want to start getting my backings together for those, so I will have no excuses for not using my mom's longarm. 
 I have been Slow Stitching all week on my Journey of the Quilter during movies with my family and hanging out with my mom and dad. I am just stitching around each piece with DMC blanc perle cotton #8. 
It is finally cold and we have snow on the ground here in western Colorado, so it is Slow Sunday Stitching weather and I will be joining everyone else at Kathy's link up tomorrow and getting further on this while watching football. Here is a link to the Slow Sunday Stitching http://kathysquilts.blogspot.com

46 comments:

  1. I used a turquoise and light blue to make my "blue" bock. That is what is so fun doing this challenge. Love seeing your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those log cabin blocks. Thank you for the instructions.

    You have some great goals for 2015. Mine are similar in that I want to reduce the number of UFOs in my sewing room. Some will require using up some stash.

    I have one UFO that requires hand stitching. Maybe I'll join you and the others tomorrow.

    Here's to the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your curves quilt too. Not only because of the curved pieces but because of your color selection and placement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! You've been busy! Thanks for the tutorial. This is my first year participating in RSC too. All of your blocks look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the tutorial for making that neat block. Lots of beautiful eye candy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have been sooooo busy!!! Lovely colourful post, and I like the way you have used different prints for your star points and the central block, it adds such a lot of movement. Sugar Stars - not come across this pattern before but I do like it, I have a selection of Moda fabrics in a basket Plum Sweet is the name of the range they would lend themselves to this patten you have used.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done for your log cabins. I like the whirling flying geese too

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read your comment on another blog that you are new to RSC. I hope you enjoy and follow along. This is what I did last year with mine. Still yet to quilt it though..
    http://jobutterfield.blogspot.com.au/2014/08/fnwf-over-at-gone-stitching-with-cheryll.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You are off to a great start! Love the Medallion Log Cabins - thanks for the instructions! I may have to give them a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like the second part of your week has been relaxing and nice. I had fun doing the RSC last year and know you will too! Enjoy today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh...tons of inspiration in your post!! I have found a new quilt (or two) to make - thanks for the tute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Tanya, Visiting from RSC15 -- wonderful rainbow ideas! And I really like your "Inspirations" tab -- good way to hang onto all the wonderful ideas we keep accumulating.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So much going on and all beautiful. Now I want to drop everything and use your tutorial to make a pillow from that block! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think we must be quilty twin sisters! I was smiling all the way through your post! So many wonderful blocks and projects to enjoy. I loved seeing your Journey quilt... your colours are so beautiful!
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thx for a wonderful post, all of the great links and inspiration! I especially love your orange peels. How large are the individual blocks (each single orange peel)?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you are joining up with RSC. Looks like you are off to a great start with some nice blocks. I've followed your work with Slow Stitching Sunday for a while. Thanks for the tutorial. Love your UFO too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. RSC is so inspirational! Love all the wonderful quilts in your post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness! I am overwhelmed with scrappy goodness. I love seeing your orange peel quilt as it is on my list this year as well. Great tutorial on the log cabin medallion quilt too. Love both your sampler blocks too! WOW! Great start to 2015

    ReplyDelete
  19. What wonderful scrap and rainbow inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great scraps. Wonderful quilt projects.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey, Tanya - what a great plan of attack! I really like your UFOs that you're working on, and the slow stitching has always charmed me. The rainbow scraps patterns are all fantastic. :D I'm also focusing this year almost entirely on what I already have around in UFOs, untouched projects, and stash. Here's to a good year of forward movement!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are so productive! I wish I had access to a long arm. While I prefer to hand quilt, I know that I could get so many more quilts if I could long arm some and save the special ones for hand quilting.

    I'm a fan of the Carrie Nation block and need to add it to my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! these are great! ~Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a busy lady you've been!!! Love those medallion blocks! May have to put that on my "must try" list :-)

    ~ Jess ~
    Everything Is Coming Up Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, that is a lot of blocks! And I love your orange peel quilt - it is stunning.

    Thanks for linking up to Building Blocks Tuesday! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You've been a lot more ambitious than me! However, I'm working on closets and drawers that are long overdue for a makeover so I'm feeling very industrious. :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  27. You have so many great quilts in this post! Love them all! Thanks so much for linking up, too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm really liking those medallion log cabin blocks!! Well done! Visiting from Freemotion by the river

    ReplyDelete
  29. You have some great ideas planned for 2015. Good luck with getting the scrap pile down!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You already had a productive start, three days into the new year! I love the moon crescent on the tiny square. And your Journey of the Quilter is beautiful with your stitching. What a joy it must be to hand quilt it. Really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm triple dipping my current scrap project on IG and didn't even know about the Rainbow one but it also fits that - happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the scrappy blocks and quilts! Hope to check out your other posts soon!

    ReplyDelete
  33. As usual you are an inspiration Sis! I haven't gotten to my projects this week, still trying to get the basement clutter under control and set up my home office! Hoping to get some time in on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Looks like you have some really amazing projects lined up for this year. Love all your blocks. And thanks for sharing the little tutorial! Your hand quilting is coming along nicely. Looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love them all but my favorite is the orange peel. Love the colors! You have some great projects in the making. Cannot wait to see them progress.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm here from Debra's mention of you on her latest FLB post. Wow. She was right! Beautiful work! It's such a good feeling to use up scraps and end up with a beauty in your lap - one that sings with color like yours do. My fave is the one with the embroidery - the last 2 photos you show. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  37. WOW! You have such beautiful work and designs!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Those are just absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow, Tanya, really wonderful quilts ... Love them all!!! And thank's, for all these little tutorials ... ;)))

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks for sharing your scrappy block tutorial with Oh Scrap!

    All of your quilts are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great instructions, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh the purpel Quilt is just my colors, beautiful. Sehr schön.
    Gruß Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  43. Tanya, you never cease to amaze me with all you have on the go, not to mention going on in your life! I have bookmarked this post for that medallion log cabin. Love it. Looks like it could be a leaders and enders project and I need to DO that to maybe accomplish a little more!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thanks for sharing the tutorial and all the pretty eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Wow ... inspirational. I love the log cabin medallion -- thank you for showing your method!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!