Sunday, October 25, 2015

VW Bug Love

I finished my VW Bug last week, but forgot to post about it. I have been picking and choosing certain Snapshots blocks from the Fat Quarter Shop's BOM to make as mini quilts for my sewing room. Since my first car was a red 1970 VW Beetle, I was definitely making this Gone Surfin' block. I grew up in southern California and did a little surfing too. In fact, I think my surfboard is still in my best friend's dad's garage. I traded the surfboard with him for some George Michael concert tickets when I was 16 and he was having his mid-life crisis that involved attaching a surfboard on top of his Porsche and going surfing a couple of times.
I have machine quilted all my Snapshots blocks with a one inch cross hatch on both diagonals and bound them in red.
I have been labeling then in the corner hanger. The backing is from the bargain bin at my LQS and is an organic cotton with turquoise.
 It is Sunday, so that means I am spending a little time with my Cottage Garden wool felt appliqué project for Slow Sunday Stitching 
 This is the next block I have prepped for stitching. The blocks are only 5 inches and this is number 6 of 18. My time spent on handwork usually increases as it gets colder. We had our first frost on Friday night which is pretty late for us. My hubby picked all the tomatoes yesterday and I roasted 4 cookie sheets worth this morning. The Broncos are not playing this weekend, but watching NFL Red Zone is on my agenda for the afternoon. Enjoy your week!

23 comments:

  1. Enjoy your Slow Sunday Stitching the applique, Your quilt will be wonderful. Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little bug took me back to the day when I was a kid and my aunt showed up in her bug to pick us up here and there. One day we all went to the zoo in that bug. Now that would be her, my mom, her two kids and my mom's two kids. We all fit in. Clearly that was before car seat and seat belt laws! :) We just squished in and survived.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Winter is my time to work on hand work too. I love this wool project! Thanks for sharing it with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The wool applique is very sweet.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems like a good trade if everyone was happy. My son is 17 and just started surfing and I wonder how long it will last.

    I love your quilt! What wonderful colors. Wool applique is so fun to do. Can't wait to see this one progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved seeing the VW bugs over at the surf beach when I was young! Happy memories! Your wool applique looks great! What do you do with the tomatoes after baking, if it isn't a silly question!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I traded a clarinet for a trip to Greece when I was seventeen. I like how the applique blocks sit with the 9 patches a lot - very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the bug. My first car was a bright red bug, I miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely work on the bug. Love the story about the surfboard.
    Your wool applique is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the your surfer bug, it turned out really cute. Very detailed work on the wool applique. Hope you had a relaxing time with your slow stitching yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Tanya, your felted appliqué is absolutely gorgeous! It's going to be really special when it's finished. There's something about quirky first cars that never leaves the memory isn't there? I love your bug; I had a 2CV and absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's nothing like some hand stitching on colder days! I love your wool felt applique.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun collection for one post! I really like your hand stitching project but the vw bug is super cute too. You look like you've been busy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember almost half of the cars over here were beatles!!! Love that quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your cottage garden project!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You do such lovely work Tanya! Loved the story about the Vdub and the surf board! I prefer the image of the surf board atop a Vdub rather than on top of a Porche!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your bug mini is too cute! I can't wait to get to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute VW bug! Thanks for sharing the little story behind it.

    Love the wool project, too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Using the Snapshots blocks as minis is a great idea. The crosshatch quilting looks really nice. I'm amused by the story of your surfboard. So was the trade worth it?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the VW bug. I've been wanting to make some of the Snapshot blocks as minis - the hard part is deciding which ones!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ha! I loved your story about trading your surf board to someone who is in the midst of a mid-life crisis. Made me smile! :) I think your VW block is so adorable. It's a great idea to make mini's for your sewing room! Thanks for linking to MCM.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your wool applique. It is inspiring me to add that to my quilting repertoire. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVE your bug! Love that it was your first car (mine too - 73 Orange Super Beetle!). Need to make one of these, but I want to make the Christmas tree version. Gotta find that one!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!