Monday, October 12, 2015

Dog Gone Cute Blog Hop

Welcome to Tanya Quilts in CO! I was so excited when Lorna announced the Dog Gone Cute Quilt Along. I am a huge dog lover! As I started to contemplate how to design my version of the Dog Gone Cute Quilt, I decided I wanted to honor the dogs of my life. I started looking through old pictures and reminiscing about the dogs who have touched my life.  This is my tribute to those amazing canines.
 Here is the backing. It is a cheerful turquoise floral and I machine quilted along the black sashing and around each dog's face. I wanted it to look like class pictures.
 I am calling this quilt, "The Dogs of My Life." Let me introduce you to my four legged friends.
Charlie was the beagle-doxie mix my parents had when I was born and was always present in my childhood. She lived a very long life and devoured M&Ms nightly with my dad.
 Beau was an adult red dachshund we adopted when I was about 13 and I had him until I was in college and my parents downsized and found him a new home.
Dudley came with Beau and he was a chocolate and tan dachshund. They were such a hoot together.
Willie was actually my sister's dog and he was a beagle and lab mix that she convinced my parents we needed. What was one more?
 When I met my hubby, he had three dogs! I think his dogs were one of the reasons I fell for him. Panda was an Australian Shepherd mix.
Babe was a German Shepherd mix. The ears aren't quite right for a shepherd, but the soulful eyes are.
 He also had Humpy, a fantastically sweet pit bull. She died fairly young of Hodgkin's.
 Melody was another pit bull that my mom rescued and brought to us. She was meant to be our dog and we enjoyed her for 10 wonderful years.
Dora was our chocolate lab and boxer mix that we had to put down in May. Now that she is gone, I realize how vocal she was in our pack.
 Lola was our first dog we got in Colorado. She is a border collie and black lab mix we got at the rodeo over 10 years ago. She is suffering from cancer right now, but holding her own.
 Bella is our vizsla and Australian Shepherd mix we adopted from one of my students. She is five years old and finally starting to mature.
And last but certainly not least, is Fergie, our new puppy. She is a cattle dog and miniature border collie mix.

It has been so much fun to recreate my dogs in fabric for this quilt! I hand embroidered each of their names and enjoyed designing them. Now that I have recreated the dogs from my life, I think I want to play with some fabrics and make a whimsical version.

Be sure to visit all the blogs on the Dog Gone Cute Blog Hop listed below.
Thank you Lorna for allowing me to participate!


Tuesday, October 6
Karen of Run Sew Fun
Anja of Anja Quilts
Kelly of Quilting it Out

Thursday, October 8
Nina of Inchworming
Brandy of Pampered Pettit

Tuesday, October 13
Laurel of Quilts by Laurel

Thursday, October 15
Rachel of Quiltineering
Julie of Mack and Mable

Tuesday, October 20
Cathy of A Quilting Chick
Selina of Selina Quilts
Shauna of Shauna’s World
Kathy of Kayak Quilting

Thursday, October 22
Britt-Inger of Hill Valley Quilter
Judy of How ART You?
Louisa of Sewmotion

Tuesday, October 27
Teje of Nero’s Patch and Post
Stephanie of Jak and Will
Cristina of Pretty Little Quilts

Thursday, October 29
Abigail of Cut & Alter
Magdalena of iloveneutrals
Susie of Susie's Sunroom

52 comments:

  1. You made an adorable quilt to memorialize your pups. It was nice to read about each one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Dog Gone Cute quilt is wonderful! I love the way you made it so personal! I bet it will be displayed in a special place in your house. Fun to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful and touching tribute to the dogs in your life. It brought tears to my eyes. Dogs really are man and woman's best friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful finish. This is a great way to remember all those specials pets you have had. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderfully personal project, I imagine you were smiling a lot while sewing this one, great fabric choices for each dog too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tanya! Beautiful quilt and story about your puppies! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  7. Truly stitched with love! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic tribute to your furry friends. Love how you have added each name and fabric that matches each fur babies coloring. What beautiful work. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Heide

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love, love your doggy quilt! What a great tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic - I love the Humpy block and can totally see a pitbull in that face! A great way to remember all your pups!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the added touch that you embroidered their names. They all have different personalites...I'm partial to Melody and to Fergie as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun interpretation of the pattern, cutie pups!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely trip down memory lane for you. The quilt is gorgeous - well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely quilt with memories of your dogs. Thanks for sharing your creativity

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great tribute to all of the canines you love. I love how you personalized each dog with their name and made each dog unique to their looks. Thanks for sharing each of their stories with us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun and beautiful way to remember all those pups in your life! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the names. What an adorable added touch.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is absolutely adorable! What a great tribute to your four-footed friends! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful way of celebrating all the dogs that have touched you. A great quilt

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so sweet. You have certainly been blessed with lots of dogs. All my best to Lola.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful. What a great way to remember the dogs in your life. Wishing Lola the best.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What cute doggies !
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is so special! Congratulations on your heirloom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's great that you added their names, makes it so special.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your Dog Gone Cute quilt is such a fitting tribute to all the dogs that have touched your life, Tanya. I can only imagine the emotions brought on by working on each block while thinking of each of these wonderful friends. The embroidery is a wonderful addition. I hope you enjoy using this quilt, wrapped up in the love you've shared with these special pets!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a truly wonderful tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think this is one of the most charming renditions of this pattern that I've seen. What a wonderful way to remember all those faithful companions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your version! I love how you named each one. It is too cute and what a way to remember the special pets in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love how you did your own version of this to honor your dogs! So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a sweet tribute. I really like how you chose colors to represent all of your dogs and embroidered their names on.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Cute! I love the background colors. I might have to brush up on my embroidery skills when I make mine now!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm rather speechless. Beautiful work, Tanya. Gobsmacked that Willie made it onto the quilt. I really hadn't thought about him in years. I can't wait to get a closeup look at this one. Maybe Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a gorgeous quilt to remember the dogs that you have loved in your life! It will be a lovely keepsake!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  34. Such a lovely memory quilt. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow! I think it's really cool how you made this quilt in remembrance of your dogs. Such a meaningful piece and such cute pups! Thank you for sharing their stories.

    ReplyDelete
  36. HOw fun to read about all the pups in your life. Seriously, a house without a pup just isn't a home is it. :) Your memory quilt came out fantastic and will I"m sure be well used.

    ReplyDelete
  37. That is a very special quilt indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  38. You have had some special "friends" over the years. What a lovely tribute to them.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love how you honoured all the dogs in your life. Putting the names on the quilt makes it ever so more special.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love how you choose to memorialize your favorite dogs. It's pretty cool that you had many Aussie cross dogs as well. We have had 3 Aussie cross dogs and now a purebred Aussie pup who is the biggest handfull of the bunch. I had a similar idea on how I would like to make mine after I finalize my color choices. Yours turned out really cool. Thanks for linking up with TGIFF.

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is so awesome! I love how you honored all the dogs in your life. I thought the quilt was cute as it was but this makes it so special. I'm now excited to do one. Came by way of A Quilting Reader's Garden and am new to your blog. Will be sure to come back!

    ReplyDelete
  42. That is an incredible amount of dogs to have in your life! We've only ever had a total of 3 pets, and they are all cats :) I like how you labeled them, such a great idea.
    ~Brandy

    ReplyDelete
  43. It's so fun to see these pups again during the Linky Party! Still so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a wonderful tribute to all the pups in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  45. What an awesome idea to name and color according to your beloved pets! Super inspiring! Wonderful color choices too, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!