Friday, July 25, 2014

Late Friday Finish

 I have not felt very productive lately, but I certainly got in the groove today. I think it is so much easier to get into the sewing zone when you sew with friends! My AWESOME (we both use the word awesome a bunch!) friend, Lindsey, and I got together this afternoon and worked on the same project together. We made these thread catchers.
 I actually used some of my precious Bonnie and Camille fabric for mine. We added a little scissors holder at Lindsey's suggestion, so they are always at your fingertips.
Here is Lindsey's.  Although, my pictures make it look red, the main fabric is a really pretty coral.
 Here is the pin cushion with the bird showing nicely!
Before I went over to Lindsey's at noon, I finished appliquéing my orange peels. Now, I will just need to play with my rainbow layout for the baby quilt.
 Since I have been cross stitching Little Miss Shabby's "Quilty Stitches," it made me go dig through what was left of my cross stitching supplies from 20 years ago. Look what I found!  This is from Better Homes and Gardens Cross Stitch & Country Crafts 1992 magazine and I made the Country Champion Cow right around when I got married.
Same with the Champion Pig...I was making them in preparation for our moving to Colorado back in 1994-1995. We did not move here then, but we did in 2005. 
I already have the aida cloth to make the Champion Sheep and most of the floss, so I will work on this when my "Quilty Stitches" project is done. I think the three framed and displayed together will be  fun in my country home. These animals will not escape and run through my neighborhood! (We have loose livestock every now and then and recently had a funny encounter with some pigs!)
Look what arrived in today's mail! This is the market bag from American Made Brand, the cotton solids from Clothworks where the cotton is grown and manufactured into quilting cotton here in the U.S.A. I won it from Patty at http://ncweekendquilter.blogspot.com, she designed the North Carolina license plate. I had won a bundle of fat quarters from the American Made Brand blog hop earlier this summer. Lucky me! 
I usually read a lot more than I have this summer, but I have not read or finished nearly as many books. I have been kind of disappointed with some of my selections this summer. They are either not that interesting or just light like candy where I can neglect them. I finally read this one yesterday. Heather Gudenkauf is one of my favorite authors, so I had requested to borrow it from the library electronically on my iPad. I got the email at noon that it was available and I was done with by 11:30pm. It was very timely dealing with a baby that is left in a hot car and the consequences that arise. I don't want to give away too much, but I finished it in less than half a day and am dying to talk about it. I hope my book club wants to read it next month! 

This weekend I need to quilt my Woodland ABC quilt, make an eyeglass case (I need readers for cross stitching), figure out the layout of my orange peels, keep working on my "Quilty Stitches" project, and find a new book to read! What do you have on your agenda?

8 comments:

  1. The thread catchers are so pretty...how fun to sew with your friend! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your thrad catchers! I've been meaning to make myself one. It looks like your orange peels turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thread catcher--definitely something I could use. Normally I throw my thread in a trash can right under my sewing table, but when the deadline is looming I just throw it right on the rug and tape it up later. Bad, I know. The scissor holder was a good idea!

    I am a little jealous of your new bag. Are you doing their farm to fabric challenge? I just finished my Michael Miller challenge and now need to get cracking on my AMB challenge quilt. I've been thinking about it for months and already have it planned out--just need to actually make it now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so precious bonnie and camille. I just love any fabric they design. The thread catcher is pretty but doesn't everyone just let the threads fall to the floor?? Just me??:
    Leeanna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete
  5. The little thread catchers are great. Lovely idea.
    Have fun playing with the orange peel layout.
    Great to see the older cross stitches. They will be great to work on next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how this came out and I especially love the scissor holder!! TFS!! Stopping by from Quilt Story's linky party.

    Here is what I shared this week: http://craftybrooklynarmywife.blogspot.com/2014/07/another-button-down-shirt-for-e.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your thread catcher is so pretty - I love the idea of adding a scissor holder, very practical!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am stitching the pig...fun lil piece..lots of confetti surrounding the pig..not loving that part..thanks for sharing your stitching😊

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!