Saturday, June 22, 2013

New Blogger

Ok here it goes...I am a recent quilting blog follower. Usually, I don't have that much time to spend on the computer between work, quilting, and playing chauffeur for my teenager.  However, it is summer vacation and as a teacher I have been off of work for a month--plenty of time to start exploring quilting blogs and be in my sewing room for hours a day.

I live in rural Colorado and have been frustrated with the quilting supplies and inspiration locally available. We do have a local shop, but it is small and does not have much in the new techniques or modern quilting fabric, but I still manage to spend plenty of money there! Joann's is opening at the end of July and that will help with supplies.

I have quilted for almost 19 years. Right after getting married, my hubby told me I needed a hobby.  My mom had quilted when I was a child and I knew how to sew.  I found a free adult continuing education class on quilting.  I was only 22 and most of the women were older than my mother, but our teacher, Peggy Martin, was amazing with color and techniques.  She has gone on to publish several quilting books Quick-Strip Paper Piecing: For Blocks, Borders & Quilts, Paper Piece The Quick Strip Way: 12 Comp (PagePerfect NOOK Book), and Peggy Martin Teaches You Quick-Strip Paper Piecing. I was hooked.  My mom was impressed with the new quick methods like rotary cutters and she began quilting again.

I have tended to make mostly country looking quilts.  I love primitive pieces, wool felt, and embroidery especially with pearl cotton. Lately, I have been craving more color and modern things which led me to the quilting blogs...

7 comments:

  1. Dropping by from the Sew Darn Crafty Link Party. Welcome to the blogging world. Quilt and craft bloggers really are some of the most welcoming on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi...Welcome to the blogging world and thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm glad the blog button tutorial was helpful. I also wanted to stop by here, because I wasn't sure if you knew that your blog comments are set to "No Reply". This means there isn't an email address attached to your blog account and there isn't a way for anyone to respond back to any comments that you leave. If you ever want to change that, there is a tutorial on my right side bar labeled "Are you a no reply".
    Thanks again for commenting on my blog and have a great day,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the blogging world neighbor :) I also live in rural Colorado,but still have to travel 1-2 hours to Joann's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No more waiting for a trip to Grand Junction for me! I look forward to using all those coupons.

      Delete
  4. My first quilts were the 'primitive' style. They were usually applique (raw edge) I tend toward brighter fabrics now. Got here thru Val's linky party.



    ReplyDelete
  5. So... today is your first year anniversary! Congratulations! I'm glad you started last year because I always enjoy coming here. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!