Sunday, September 18, 2016

Fall Is In the Air

This morning was crisp and beautiful with the golden sunshine rising and my pasture starting to lose the green--fall is definitely in the air here in western Colorado. I ran outside to take pictures of my latest finish--Kindred. I used a Bonnie and Camille Hello Darling Frivols kit and pattern. The pattern showed the background as white, but I used a gray instead and opted to add a border.
 I had planned on adding this quilt to my baby gift stash, but I think I may keep it for myself and use it in my sewing room on top of my hope chest. These are the colors I want in my sewing room, so why not keep it for myself?
I think my favorite part of this quilt is my quilting. I usually hate my quilting, but I decided to try circles again. I used some of my bowls and small Fiestaware plates to mark the top, I just used plain old number 2 pencil. The backing was from my stash and is aqua with circles, so it is definitely the circle theme.
The smaller circles were more of a challenge, but I reduced my sewing machine's speed and took my time. Before I knew it, I was done. I did work from the center out and the half circles in the border were so easy. I finished it up in two evenings this week. It measures 41 inches square after washing. I did not make a label, but just plan on writing on the backing in a corner the quilt's details.
I finished up Be Thankful last night watching Stranger Things with my hubby. This is a Jo Ann Mullally design. I made myself one ages ago, but I found the embroidery already traced onto some tea dyed muslin in my stash. I think my sister had traced it and gifted it to me as part of her big stash purge several years ago. This was the embroidery project I took with me back east to take my daughter to college a month ago. I am pleased to have it completed with a month and even before it is officially fall!
I used perle cotton #8 for the embroidery
and the quilting. Jo Ann recommended plain borders, but I decided to go with a checker board border and use this gorgeous autumn leaf fabric from my stash.
I used a brushed cotton for the backing because it is so soft and lovely to quilt through. It measures 19 x 23 inches. 
 Yesterday, I quilted my Bloom Quilt from Lori Holt's sew along and have it ready to bind for Slow Sunday Stitching and football watching. Get more handwork inspiration here:
I also got this wooly block all stitched up this week and another block started. I didn't realize how productive I was this week! Now, I am inspired to get back into my sewing room and get more done. Have a great week!







20 comments:

  1. Wow you have been really productive... way to go!
    I love that circle quilting idea and how brilliant to use plates for your tem-plates!
    Enjoy your binding today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've certainly accomplished a lot! I love the gray background, it's so much better than white. I also like that you added a border. Cool idea on the circles quilting. Do you free motion or straight stitch and turn the quilt? The embroidery and wool applique are adorable. Such nice little handwork projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made up this frivols top with a real white background for a shop model. i love it with the grey background!! I still have one that I bought before getting the model to work on, so I am going to experiment with a different colored background. Glad you are keeping yours for you. I mostly give anything done away & it would be nice to have a quilt to look at in my sewing room. Thanks for teaching kids, it is a noble profession!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been productive! I love your Hello Darling quilt - definitely a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW...super needle woman! Your projects are wonderful. We are welcoming Fall too just west of you in Utah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it great when we finally are satisfied with our work. HOpefully it will build your confidence with your future quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, I used to live in Grand Junction. Are you close by? I love the checkerboard border with the fall leaves. It's just what the embroidery needed. The stitching really accents it all. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great projects, love the autumn checkerboard border. Send some of that cooler weather over to me, will you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have some lovely pojects done, I love the embroidery the fabrics are great

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have been very busy Tanya...I would also keep the quilt for myself. its lovely..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Hello Darling combined with the gray background, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful quilting! Glad you are enjoying great weather ♥
    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOWWEE!!!! You are amazing! What a super week! It's all beautiful. Is the wool project a Jeni Gaston SAL?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love seeing what you've been accomplishing. The circle quilting is great and I'm glad it worked out so well. It's 91° here on the front range and not feeling like fall at all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness, Tanya. Have you gotten any sleep? You have been so productive and I'm down here looking for my crafting mojo :(

    I do love all of your quilts, especially the small fall embroidery piece.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty quilting on Kindred! Love all the circles!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely work on all your projects. the circles do look great on your quilt. Great work. And the little wool block is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. More wonderful finished! Fall is in the air! Leaves falling, cooler nights, less humidity. Looking forward to cooler, just not cold!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Your week was definitely longer than mine. Very nice finishes and works in progress.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!