Thursday, June 19, 2014

Concentric Circles Quilting Finish!

 
I made this quilt top last summer as part of the monthly Schnibbles Quilt Along. It is the "Mercerie" pattern. I used some modern scraps I had inherited from my sister and a light jade Kona for the background. I did not like how the top came out, so I purchased a cheap backing at Joann's and it has sat in a UFO bin ever since. The other day I was admiring the circular quilting the of Little Penguin on one of her recent finishes http://littlepenguinquilts.blogspot.com/ and I saw concentric circular quilting on another blog and thought maybe I should try that...The question was on what quilt, so I dug through my UFOs and thought why not this one? It is 33 inches square, so very easy to maneuver for quilting on my Pfaff.

I dug through my plates and bowls and traced circles with a pencil. The biggest plate I had was 14 inches around, so that was my biggest circle. I traced from the smallest circle out, but for the quilting I found it easier to quilt the biggest circles and work my way in. I used my walking foot as Little Penguin suggested.


I finished the smallest circles this morning and ran over to Joann's to find a binding. The manager who is also a friend (she was my friend before they opened a Joann's in our town, but I am definitely a frequent customer!) said that's the quilt you did not like and I said you're right, but now with the quilting it is much better! She agreed that the circles gave it so much more texture and made a pretty bland quilt much more interesting. I sewed the binding on while I watched soccer this afternoon and washed it immediately. I will definitely quilt with concentric circles again.

My blog one year anniversary is on Sunday! I think I will celebrate with a giveaway, so check back soon to see what I have for a lucky reader...

12 comments:

  1. This did come out nicely. Circles are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beauty! The colors really pop against that background!

    Thank you so much for linking up to Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt is beautiful, enjoy reading the blog, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for finishing it! The quilting looks great, Tanya! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! The quilting really accents this nicely

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luv it whe we finish up a project. Very nice. Stopping by from TGIFF

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did it! Looks great! It's fun to try something different, isn't? I will definitely do this type of quilting again, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is a great example of how quilting can transform a quilt top. Straight parallel lines or a grid would not complement the top like these circles do. I think this quilt is extremely pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the circles. It really brings this quilt to life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The quilting really made the top sparkle. I think that some quilt tops need to "mature" in the cupboard before they become stars.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the circles. Brilliant choice. Thanks for linking up with Inspire Us Thursdays!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!