Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Swan Dive Quilt

This is my secret sewing I have been working on for the last month! Fat Quarter Shop was looking for volunteers to use their Swan Dive Quilt pattern and I wanted to make a chemo quilt for my friend, Troy--he just started his 18 months of chemo. This is a free pattern from FQS and comes in two sizes. I opted for the lap size as it is perfect to use during chemo treatments 54" x 66". The pattern was designed to use with their Jolly Bars- 5" x10" rectangles--it takes one Jolly Bar for the baby size and two for the lap size. They wanted us to use a current fabric, so I ordered a layer cake of Moda's Zen Chic Backgrounds and a Kona black layer cake and yardage--I was going for a modern, masculine look. This would also be a great way to use up some scraps from your stash too!
The large pinwheels and flying geese were made using the Jolly Bar Cake Mix Recipe papers from Miss Rosie's Quilt company--they were very helpful since there are 800 half square triangles!
Since I needed to make my FQS deadline and get this to Troy ASAP, I opted to quilt it myself with straight line, vertical quilting, spaced every three quarters of an inch. I also used a gray minky for the backing and silver thread. I have washed it and it did shrink up some, but it is nice and cozy with the minky backing and the Warm & Natural batting gives it some weight. Here is the link to FQS and all the details for Swan Dive:

This one is going in the mail today to Troy as a quilty hug during all his chemo treatments! Thank you Fat Quarter Shop for allowing me to make my own version of this quilt and gift it as a chemo quilt!



10 comments:

  1. That's a great guy quilt, but 800 HSTs? You must have really done some power sewing for your friend. No doubt he'll feel your care whenever he uses it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He loved the quilt. I prefer making flying geese with rectangles and squares, but when you make something for public relations for a quilt shop--you kind of need to make it their way.

      Delete
  2. Oh this is a beauty!! I am sure he will feel cherished using this quilt you made...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a beautiful quilt and I know Troy will appreciate it. So kind of you to gift it to someone who really needs a quilty hug. Best wishes to him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you--the chemo is already making a difference in his cell counts and he is actually not getting too sick from it. Fingers crossed it will be eliminated.

      Delete
  4. A wonderful guy quilt. Prayers and well wishes go to your friend Troy.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! The color combination is very striking. Your friend will love it!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!