Sunday, November 3, 2019

Welcome November!


Well, I survived the week--and as a teacher that is saying something! It snowed Monday and Wednesday, plus Halloween on Thursday made this week extra long and crazy. Friday was pretty mellow--the kids were zombies from staying up too late and sugar crashed from way too much candy. Friday was also the start of the Farm Girl Vintage 2 Quilt Along.  A link to info is on my right sidebar. I am sewing along with Lori Holt and the Fat Quarter Shop! I will be using fabrics from my stash and scrap bins--my motto is the scrappier the better! The plan is to sew two blocks a week--this block is Autumn  Pumpkin 12 inch version.
This Block is Baked with Love also a 12 inch version. November means pumpkins and pies, right? I am embroidering the steam with a silver perle cotton for Slow Sunday Stitching right now:
I put a small piece of Warm & White batting behind and will trim it down--I think it is much easier to embroider the individual blocks.
 I made my Ombre Gems Blocks for Week 6. Info for this one is also on the right sidebar.  These are my aubergine blocks.
 Here are my plum blocks and half blocks
 and my turquoise blocks.
 I finally washed my To Spin a Star Quilt--I had finished binding it a couple of weeks ago. Sorry about the shadows--the time change has messed with my lighting.
Here it is on our pasture fence. It is so bright and cheery. It got nice and crinkly after washing and drying it!
 I made this design as a pattern test for Diane of Butterfly Threads in the spring. You can purchase this great scrap busting pattern here:
From the back, I love using a black and white binding on a bright quilt--it is a nice frame! I am not sure what I will do with this one, but it will eventually find a proper home.I am binding another quilt for my friend Rachel right now--it is lovely to snuggle under a cozy quilt and bind it on these chilly evenings. Have a great week!


10 comments:

  1. Teachers should get a big shout out for snow and Halloween all in one week! Your quilt is great and looks perfect in the afternoon light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy November! Lots of great projects on display. I adore the pumpkin block!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had Halloween snow in Chicagoland, too. Your ironing board cover provides a great background for your blocks. The spinning star quilt is lovely -- nice design, and the b/w binding gives a nice snap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love black and white for binding and decor.

      Delete
  4. I bought Lori Holt's Christmas book and have been working my way through turning the blocks into potholders or pillows. Great Christmas gifts. So fun to make and generally they are quick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have that book too, but I did not make much progress. I think I need to readjust to 12 inch blocks instead of 6. Then, I might actually make more progress.

      Delete
  5. Terrific finish... great photos! I miss the sun shine here!
    Yes... pumpkins and pies... my favourite!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!