Sunday, January 14, 2018

Maintaining Momentum

Unfortunately, I have many UFOs--most are in need of quilting. Fortunately, I have several kits and fat quarter bundles that are waiting to become works in progress. I am trying to avoid starting anything new--it is difficult! The good news is I have gotten my mojo on tackling some of these UFOs. My first UFO finish is my Chains of Love Quilt. I started this last year and whipped the top right up, but ran into some problems with the machine quilting--of course, it languished. I got it all machine quilted by taking some time to redo the pin basting and marked it with a Frixon pen for the crosshatch quilting. It is all bound, washed, and ready to display for Valentine's Day decorating. It is 44.5 inches square. This was my January OMG goal, so it feels great to have that done half way into the month!
As I went into my sewing room yesterday, I was tempted to start a new project for the three day weekend. Instead, I dug out one of my oldest UFOs--my Quilty Fun Row Quilt. I had this top together in a couple of weeks back in July 2013--this was back when the blocks were still freebies on Lori Holt's Bee In My Bonnet Blog.  I hit a wall with the borders and the quilting. I was indecisive about doing the borders it called for. 4+ years of indecisiveness is enough. I added the narrow red borders yesterday and will be working on the pieced turquoise borders today. So much time has passed the white fabric seems to have yellowed, but the whites in the borders are not touching--I think it will be ok after washing and it really only shows in the bright sunshine. I am thinking I will quilt it myself horizontally either with a straight line stitch every inch or with my wavy stitch. This is NOT going to languish any more! After all, Done Is Better Than Perfect!
This UFO--my Strawberry Social Quilt was pieced at a retreat back in July 2015. I had a backing that a friend gave me, but again it got shoved aside because of quilting. I decided to quilt it myself vertically with a straight stitch. Thanks to the two football games yesterday, I am almost done with the hand binding. I will do some Slow Sunday Stitching and finish the binding and sew the hanger down too.
I got to gift this beauty this week to one of my dear teacher friends Sue! Her daughter gave birth to her first granddaughter, Kimberly, on Monday. I made this on a whim in February of last year. It is a Curved Log Cabin design and I am tempted to start making some more blocks as part of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2018--I want to make a bigger one to keep!
These two L blocks whipped up so quickly for the Spelling Bee Sew Along yesterday. 

I am looking forward to having Monday off and I am taking Thursday off to spend the morning with my daughter and get her to the airport to go back to college--I will try to head into my sewing room that afternoon. Hopefully, I can slay another UFO!

SaveSave

27 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Awesome quilts! Love the Log Cabin quilt,so colorful. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The strawberries on the dark background.....wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks to me like you are really on a roll, Tanya! Love both the heart quilt and the strawberry quilt! Such pretty color. Enjoy your day off tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness...you are just finishing up projects left and right! I am also trying to finish projects...I have your same row quilt in progress, but mine is being done in 30's prints.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go!!! You have made a breakthrough! I'm loving your rainbow log cabin, too. And it is tempting to start a Rainbow Scrap Challenge in that pattern, but gosh-- I have so many eternal UFO's, the last thing I need is another one!! =O

    ReplyDelete
  6. The row quilt is delightful. Claire aka knitnkwilt

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!! You're doing great on the UFO's! I've been working on a few myself and making decent progress. Lots of bindings for several quilts, 1 QOV nearer to completion and a Jan Patek quilt getting near completion. Feels good..just need to keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 2018 is your year! So many great finishes. Especially love your row along quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are such a prolific quilter, it never ceases to amaze me! And they are all gorgeous 😍

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have beautiful ufos to play with. Love the rainbow log cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marvelous finishes!! I like that strawberry quilt, so fun. The fun row quilt is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quilts are just so beautiful! Congrats on the finishes. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have made a great start to 2018 with those finishes! Happy binding time to you! Wonderful quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a huge fan of row quitls. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! You are on a roll! So fun seeing so many beautiful finishes. It really does inspire others to get cracking on there's. I know it does me, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good to see your motivation has returned and lovely to see what you are working on.Your quilts are so lovely that they do deserve to be finished and enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great looking quilts. I really like those strawberries and that curved log cabin is wonderful. Did you quilt the log cabin on your domestic? If so, what stitch? It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are making great progress on your UFOs! I enjoyed reading your thoughts about the row quilt and how indecisiveness causes such finishing delays... I can totally relate!
    Enjoy your binding ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. All your quilts are adorable, but I especially love the strawberries--so cute! It must feel great to have all those finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooh, I remember seeing that Quilty Fun row quilt! Yours is adorable. Strawberries are sweet, too, and the baby quilt for your friend is just amazing. Looks like your new year is off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, you are doing great finishing up UFOs! I especially like the Strawberry Social Quilt with the dark background and the Curved Log Cabin, which I would like to try at some point myself. This is my first time visiting your blog, so I don't know if having so many completions quickly is normal for you or not. You are certainly inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's interesting when we figure out what's caused us to stop working on a project. I'm glad you figured it out because those quilts are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So many finishes and they all looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great job on finishing some UFO. And hope you feel that sense of satisfaction, they look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great UFO's! It's easy to start another project, but you are really doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are on a UFO roll! Love your finishes. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful projects and some more to come! I especially like those strawberries. Thanks for linking up with TGIFF ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!