Monday, September 2, 2013

Sea Life Baby Quilt

These pictures really do not show how bright these colors are! iPads do not take the best pictures, but they sure are easy to use for blogging. I made one of these quilts several years ago and I had so much left over fabric, I made another one. I think I embroidered these sea creatures over a year and a half ago. I totally spaced on this UFO until I saw another fish baby quilt on-line the other day.

The embroidery designs were just coloring pages I found on-line and traced onto white Kona with a pencil. The fabric squares are cut 5inches, I bought a layer cake and cut it up. I use free coloring pages from the Internet all the time for designing baby quilts. I have made some with farm animals, Winnie the Pooh, woodland animals, etc. 

Now, I need to pin it (yuck) and start the hand quilting (fun). I have never made a tutorial, but I was thinking of making one showing how I embroider, find the designs, trace, stitch, etc. Would anyone be interested? Let me know!

12 comments:

  1. What a great idea to use free coloring images! Your quilt is adorable. I love the bright colors too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute :) Using the coloring pages for the designs is an awesome idea.

    Found you via Sew Cute Tuesday
    Hilary
    http://www.youngtexanmama.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! Love the coloring book idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute quilt! What a great idea to use coloring pages! Good luck with basting (definitely yuck!). Can't wait to see how you decide to hand quilt it!

    Thanks for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! I also made a sea life baby quilt this year, must be a popular theme.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This quilt is great! I keep thinking about incorporating embroidery into my quilts but haven't gotten around to it yet. The iPad is a good enough camera for some things. I bet if you went out into some natural light you'd be amazed at the quality of the images it can capture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an adorable quilt! I love how you used the coloring pages for the embroidery designs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute quilt and great idea on using the coloring pages! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely quilt :) found you via TGIFF

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an adorable quilt! I use coloring pages for embroidery sometimes, too. The designs are often simple and less cluttered. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!