Sunday, November 18, 2018

Vintage Xmas Blocks 2

 Lucky me--I have the whole week off for Thanksgiving! I started it off right--my mom and I ventured up to one of our favorite fabrics stores, then Joann's, and one of our local quilt shops. I needed some pastels for a baby quilt I need to make this week. We had a Thai food lunch from our delicious local food truck. Then I spent the afternoon, putting together some more Vintage Christmas blocks. I had needed the skin tone for the dolly and we did not find it until our last stop. I am thinking I need to make the Snow Globe Pillow in the book, but which block to feature?
 Here is the Ginger Bread House Block and the Glimmer Block. These blocks are fun to dig into my scrap bins and find the fabrics for them.
My long arm quilter is going to try to quilt my Farm Girl Vintage Quilt this week and some other quilts that are his mom's. She has macular degeneration and can no longer see to bind her quilts, so we trade--he quilts for me and I bind her quilts. He told me to get another quilt or two ready for long arming, so I have been working on prepping some backings today.
I am embroidering the label on my Jumping Jacks Quilt--I plan on gifting this to my daughter when she returns from London next month, so I need to get this one in the queue.
I have some embroidery details to add to this top and I got its backing all together today. I am snuggled up in my jammies with football on and Slow Sunday Stitching:
Last weekend, my daughter jetted to Copenhagen. She stayed with her friend, Katie, who is doing her semester abroad there. Katie visited her in London last month--it is nice that they can see each other and not have to pay for accommodations!
She enjoyed Copenhagen and was very impressed with their transit system and museums.
This weekend, she and Katie met in Paris. She fell in love with Paris and can't wait to visit again! They stayed at an Airbnb in the heart of Paris and splurged on a really good meal along with their sight seeing.
Since they are technically EU students, they get into most museums for free including the Louvre. She said she was drinking the best hot chocolate she has ever had in this picture and loved some incredible madeleines.
 She called this morning and had already left Paris and arrived in Porto, Portugal. Her friend who is studying in Vienna is meeting her there. They will be there a few days before taking a train to Lisbon. This is our third Thanksgiving in a row with her not coming home and seeing the world instead...It is a little bittersweet!



5 comments:

  1. Your quilts and blocks look wonderful. Macular degeneration is a bitter thing to deal with--how wonderful for your quilter to trade work. Great travel fun for your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous post filled with beautiful blocks and colour. Love the vintage Christmas blocks, especially the sweet little dolly. This quilt is going to look fabulous all together. How fun your daughter and her friend get to visit each other in different countries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is going to be a wonderful quilt! What a marvelous opportunity for your daughter!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that your daughter is getting to see so much of Europe. Hope she won't be too let down when she gets back to upstate NY and the snow.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. As sad as it is that she isn't with you for the holiday, she is having the adventure of a lifetime. I love to see that she is enjoying her time abroad to the fullest. She is very fortunate!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!