Friday, January 6, 2017

Snow Day = Bonus Sew Day

Winter Greetings! We got about 10 inches of snow yesterday and last night. Fortunately, my school district called a snow day for today because of all that snow and low temperatures it was -5 degrees at 8am. This is the third snow day in my 12 years living in Montrose, Colorado. I a thrilled because I really dislike driving in the snow--I need to go to town sometime this weekend to get the canvas to cover my new ironing station, other organization materials, and some produce, but they can wait. 

This handsome buck was in our pasture this morning. He was quite large, probably 150 pounds, and was digging out fallen apples and enjoying breakfast. I started my snow day by baking pumpkin bread. It is already almost gone! I am thinking chili, meatloaf, or taco salad for dinner--I will let me hubby decide since he has been working on snow removal most of the day.
My sewing room organization is going great. This is my ironing station with only primer, but my hubby has painted it (it is less green and more aqua now) and cut the ironing board. I am going to get black fabric bins for the inside because I am using a black with white design on the canvas ironing surface. My Iris scrapbook containers arrived via UPS last night and I already filled them up with UFOs and WIPs. I ran out of label maker tape, but I will label everything once I get some more. 

I really want to join the Instagram #Swoonalong and have all the patterns, but I hesitate to start something else with so many UFOs and WIPs. But, maybe I should make the Mini Swoon to help with my sewing room decoration...Plus, I really would like to get a 2017 finish out of the way!
 A UFO was what I spent my day working on! My sister sent me these block kits last year using the Moda Sample Block Shuffle patterns and Bonnie and Camille's Hello Darling Fabrics. Sorry the lighting is not great, but the snowy background is lovely.
I set them on on point and used a dotted aqua I got on sale at Joann's a few months ago for $3 a yard. I picked up a red and pink floral backing on the same sale. I am thinking of cross hatch quilting this one. It may end up hanging in my sewing room or could be a baby gift...Either way, it needs to become a finish!
This happy mail arrived today. I hit a great sale from a shop on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/shop/melodyoftheheart?ref=l2-shopheader-name
Melody had some Bonnie and Camille fabric for $6.04 a yard. I bought plenty to finish my Scrap Dance Waltz border and some pillow cases. Melody even refunded some of the shipping charges because she fit it into a Priority Mail envelope and sent me an extra B & C piece. That is excellent service!

Since I want my first finish of 2017, I am participating in Friday Night with Friends tonight
I will either work on adding borders to my Scrap Dance Waltz Quilt, pinning this Moda Sample Block Shuffle, or stitching my Saltbox Houses--so many projects and so little time, but this snow day sure was awesome!


SaveSave

13 comments:

  1. Great projects to start the new year! Good for you... and a snow day to top it off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt is beautiful and A lot of work. Nice beginning to 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see you went with the teal for your cabinet, such a happy color for your sewing space. Lovely quilts too! I hope to get in some sewing as it is snowing and I love being housebound.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems many of us our getting snow/sew days. Yours was productive I see...and love the progress of the cabinet. Continue to enjoy our weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful that you got a snow day to sew! Three snow days in 12 years is amazing to me, since we usually have three to five every single year. Sometimes they even have to extend the school year because they used too many days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the fun color you are using on your pressing station--can't wait to see it all finished!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope we get a snow day soon! I love being snowed in. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a beautiful quilt. I am enjoying looking at your snow pictures, we are sweltering here with several days over 34 deg C, the converter tells me that is 93.2 F. Think I would prefer snow! ! Wonderful fabric purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do hope we will get a tour of the new organized space once it's finished. I'm so impressed with the furniture redo. I've never been brave enough to try such a big project but this is going to be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like how you're repurposing that cabinet. Your sewing room plans sound like fun. Congrats on finishing the UFO top. Aren't snow days just the best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great projects and great color for your new ironing center. Snow days are fun for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you made it to FNwF this month...xox

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love seeing the wildlife that comes to visit your property.
    Great use of your snow day! The block shuffle quilt is looking lovely. And a great bargain buy, too.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!