Friday, November 25, 2016

November 2016 OMG


 My elf work has continued this week! I have been fortunate to have the whole week off from work and I confess I have gotten out of my pajamas on only half the days so far. Lots of what I have been making I cannot share as they are Xmas gifts. However, I did complete my November One Monthly Goal (OMG). Here is a link: 
This is a baby quilt I designed. I had a kit for a woodland animal baby quilt from the Fat Quarter Shop my sister had given me, but I really did not like the pattern that came with it. So, I improvised with a nine patch variation and added a bunch of fabrics from my stash because as far as I am concerned--the scrappier the better!
 The centers are the woodland animals fussy cut. I tried a quilting design I have not done before, but will certainly try again. I just stitched straight using the squares as a guide and my presser foot as the width. It was quick, effective, and gives the modern look I was going for.
Here is the back. I had 3.5 yards of the woodland animal novelty print, but why piece it and waste it all on a backing? I made some extra blocks and used them as a strip in the middle of the backing. Instead of adding a label, I plan to write on the bottom white block with the label information.
This Modern Nine Patch Baby Quilt is a gift for my friend Whitney. Her son is due in mid-December.  After washing and shrinking, it is 42 inches square.
 I made this Sewing Date Traveler Bag for my niece's birthday. It is a free design you can find here:
She likes to embroider, so I put an embroidery hoop, embroidery scissors, red perle cotton #8, and I traced a bunch of Red Brolly ornaments for her to stitch. I got to give it to her yesterday and she was very pleased. The bag is really big and it was a challenge to make!
I did take some time in the kitchen for my contribution to Thanksgiving--I was responsible for dessert. I made two pumpkin pies and a pumpkin chocolate chip cheesecake--the cheesecake was amazing! 

I have my Ugly Christmas Sweaters ready to quilt tomorrow when I go to spend the day with my mom, so stay tuned for that finish. Now, I should figure out what will be my December 2016 OMG...

18 comments:

  1. What a cute quilt, love the back too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finishes, and I'd love to have a bite of that cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt and bag are both so cute and I am wondering if you will dress or wear pajamas to your moms? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A gorgeous quilt. Oh those baked goods look delicious!
    Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the fabrics you choose for your quilt. The bag is great too - link that up to Elm street Quilts Bag It (if you haven't already done so!). Thanks for linking up with One Monthly Goal at Elm Street Quilts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such cute fabric and I like the quilting...it does not detract from the fabric or design. Nice work. Those pies look so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boy, you have really been putting your time off to good use! Love that baby quilt..so cute. And at least you got a fall finish. I had a fall start and that was it. Ugh. Your daughter will be home soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tanya, I love everything about that quilt! The fabric, the pattern you used, the quilting, the backing! So adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even though I am still stuffed, those desserts look Yum!! Great baby quilt...and I really like what you did for the backing and quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What wonderful gifts--I know they will be appreciated! That cheesecake sounds yummy too, although the pies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great finish on your woodland quilt. The simplicity of the design is perfect for the lovely fabrics. The quilting works really well, also. Love the back, too.
    Your sewing gift for your niece will be perfect considering her interest in embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on a such a fun finish! The Woodland quilt is beautifully done, the simple quilting really works well with the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you have been super productive! I love the baby quilt, front and back. Your bag looks wonderful and I will definitely be checking out the link. And to top it all off, your Thanksgiving baking looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the quilt and I WANT that cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful quilt--I love the backing fabric!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!