I got a panicked call from my mom on Thursday morning that there were three more male residents at one of the nursing homes than the count at the beginning of November. Of course, she had extra feminine quilts, but not masculine ones. I said I could get a top together by Monday to give her time to quilt it on the long arm. She is cranking out the other two.
I needed a quick design, so I decided on Cluck Cluck Sew's Scrappy Summer Tutorial http://cluckclucksew.com/2013/06/finished-scrappy-summer-and-pattern.html
It is just 4 patches and squares. Mine is not quite as long as the tutorial, but I set it 8 by 9 blocks and it measures 64 x 72 inches before washing. My version needed 18 2.5 inch strips of the background and the colors and 144 4.5 inch squares. To speed up the cutting, I did not really dig into my scrap bins, but dug into my stash for larger left overs. I also had the tan Moda Marble in my stash with exactly enough for the background. I think it looks masculine and cozy. We are delivering quilts to the smaller nursing home this afternoon and this one will be ready for the deadline on December 23rd.
Next up, I have a couple of pouches for coworkers to make--it is much more difficult to make them masculine! I also hope to slow down by the evening and do some Slow Sunday Stitching along with everyone else http://kathysquilts.blogspot.com