Saturday, July 4, 2015

4th of July Weekend

Last night was Friday Night with Friends and I sat down and hand sewed the binding down on this new door banner.  Check out what everyone else worked on here http://stitchingcubbyhole.blogspot.com.au/2015/07/fnwf.html
 We decided to kick off our 4th of July Weekend early with a trip to our local drive in on Thursday night. Yes, drive ins do still exist in some small towns across America--ours has been owned and operated for 65 years by the same family. We enjoy going to the drive in, but usually they show kids movies, so we are not interested in those anymore. We watched a double feature of San Andreas and Mad Max Fury Road (very creepy).
We had awesome greasy cheeseburgers and French fries complete nostalgia.  
Our daughter is out of town attending a college class in California, so we stole her Mustang convertible, Chuck, and enjoyed the movies under the stars. It was so nice to be outside in the cool air with my hubby. It was great date night! 
 I have been plugging away with my girl alphabet embroidery blocks. M is for Music is done.
 N is for Nest--check.
O is for Oval--complete.

We have had some thunder storms this morning and it is cool and overcast--perfect sewing weather. I am going to make some fried chicken, corn on the cob, and even bake some dessert--maybe something with our fresh raspberries.

We plan on watching the Germany v. England soccer game today and the U.S.A. v. Japan tomorrow. I will keep stitching these alphabet embroidery blocks and have some binding--sounds like Slow Sunday Stitching http://kathysquilts.blogspot.com

I also have to get all my stuff ready for our retreat on Thursday--more to come on that!


21 comments:

  1. That's a really cute door banner. I like how you hung it with a curtain rod. Silly of me but I wouldn't have thought to do that. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya...what were these letters again. I lost your previous email...LOVE This banner as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet date night. I love that you still have a drive-in theatre that operates. Glad you two had a fun evening.

    Love the new door banner and you are moving right along on your letter blocks. I am still working on my birdie stitches blocks and really wish I had incorporated your idea of including the batting to hide the stitches...too late now.

    Enjoy the remainder of your weekend and good luck to your daughter on her college hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tanya, I found you on your blog! This is Priscilla from SD!! Would love to reconnect! Ellen's coming home from Europe tomorrow.. will tell her I found you! Looks like you're having a wonderful life in CO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new door banner! Looks like a fun night at the drive-in!
    Pugs and kisses,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely banner and fabulous stitcheries...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great fun going to the Drive -in using the convertible. I think they still filmed some of this Mad Max in Australia and some in South Africa. Haven't seen it yet.
    Your door banner is great fun. Do you plan to go sailing? And the alphabet is growing well.
    Enjoy the soccer finals. We are pleased that the two finalist are also the only teams that beat Australia on the way through. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the door banner and the cute embroidery. I used to LOVE going to the drive-in. It was the perfect date, yes. Sadly I do not think that any are open in these parts within an hour's drive if any at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The banner is wonderful! Sure hope the USA girls can pull this off!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your door banner and I hope you had a wonderful 4th July! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your door banner is adorable, and your post is making me HUNGRY!! Cheeseburgers and fries, fresh raspberries, fried chicken... I hope you have enough to share with the whole Internet. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hallo Tanya,
    nun ist es bei uns sehr heiß, kein regen nur Sonne und Hitze !
    Ich nähe abends.
    Dein " door banner " gefällt mir sehr, schade ich ich nicht so eine Tür habe ! Leckeres Essen, ich bekomme Hunger !
    Liebe Grüße
    Käthe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your door banner... perfect for summer. Your night at the drive in sounds perfect... greasy burgers and all :o) Your alphabet stitching is so pretty.... not many more letters to go. Have fun....xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your door banner! Your blocks are darling! After reading your post, I think I need to see what will be playing at the drive-in theater near us. Sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great banner, being an East Coast gal myself I love the sea theme.... and great car for a drive in! Sounds like summer is well on it's way for you with lots of fun things happening.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a delightful banner! I cannot remember the last time I was at a drive-in! Way before you could tune in to hear it on the radio, I know that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That banner is so cool! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the door banner! I've been pinning beach themed quilts all week since we got back from holiday. I don't want to let the feeling of being on the coast go too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the font used on the wall hanging, it's so fun and summery! And a drive in movie sounds like fun, I've never been to one before!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your summer wall hanging. And I loved reading about your husband's and your fun drive-in date night. How cool is that!

    Those embroidered alphabet blocks are coming right along and are going to make such a fun quilt!

    Thanks so much for linking up to last Monday's Stitchery Link Party!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!