Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Lucky Stars Finish!

 I finally was able to get outside between rain showers and get some pictures. This was a commissioned quilt I made for my sister. She wants to give it to her friend for her birthday. She sent me a 18 pack of Up Parasol by Heather Bailey fat quarters. There were three solids in the pack and opted to leave them out. I was really stumped with these fabrics as they were not really my taste and there were lots of big prints. I decided to go with an older pattern, Lucky Stars by Terry Atkinson. I hit my LQS and found some more fat quarters that went with them. I also opted to use a slate grey Kona for the star background instead of a white. I think the grey really highlights the stars!
 I just quilted it up with a grey thread on my mom's long arm. It was washed and dried and crinkled up fairly nicely.
 I just did an all over loopy design. My free motion machine quilting skills are not impressive and loops are my go to. I prefer them much more than stippling. 
 Her friend's favorite color is orange and I considered an orange backing, but thought it might be too much. I found this perfect grey print for the backing. It is a wide fabric 108 inches, so no piecing needed and it has a darker grey swirly print, plus it was only $10 a yard and there was enough for binding.
 Little Letters G instructions posted on Sunday, so I dug into my scrap bins and came up with these two blocks.
 Here is my progress so far on all my Little Letters, brights and country colors. 
 I am using a scrappy background for both of mine and some reds and greens in my country version.
I think this bright version is incredible! I hope my scrappy background looks ok. Letter H should post tomorrow and I am so excited to add to my growing collection.

19 comments:

  1. Love seeing your letters on the design wall!! I think your scrappy backgrounds will be perfect. Also love seeing your quilt all done and ready for winter cuddles!! It came out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember this one...but just realized it's fat quarter friendly...so I'm off to find the pattern as I have a ton of fat quarters!

      Delete
  2. Your star quilt is beautiful. You're right about the grey. It really highlights the stars. I love the loopy quilting too! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky Stars looks great I am sure it will be well received. Your letters are coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stars quilt and I agree that the grey works well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the bright version too...so I'm sure yours will be perfect as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely. I'm looking forward to every Wednesday and Sunday now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great progress on your letters. I really like the fabrics in the star quilt and the grey background is perfect. Pretty impressive fmq as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Lucky Stars quilt you made. Terry Atkinson writes great patterns, I've made a few Atkinson Designs too.

    The letters are coming along...

    ReplyDelete
  9. That slate grey is perfect for setting off the fun fabrics in the stars!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stars quilt is lovely - good finish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucky Stars turned out really nicely. Love that grey backing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quilt is gorgeous. The grey background is fabulous and makes the colors pop! I love Terri Atkinson's patterns, they are so easy and fun. I haven't made this one yet, but it's on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That quilt is just awesome, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The grey background is perfect for a baby quilt that you want to be used and washed and not show those perfect spit up stains...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absoltuely love the way the Lucky Stars turned out! The solid gray Kona makes the stars pop and tones down the large patterned fabric perfectly. Good choice in the quilting too! Was your sister thrilled with it?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the grey background you used for the stars. It gives a point of rest among all the busy prints and helps the colours sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You did a great job balancing the bold prints. I like the touch of gray.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!