Monday, October 14, 2013

ABC Baby Quilt


My hubby told me Friday he needed a baby quilt for one of his friends. I have been asking for months if they were having a boy or girl and he has not bothered to find out...They are expecting a baby girl, but there have been some complications, so they have had to go over to Denver for the baby's delivery and a surgery after she is delivered. Fingers crossed that all will go well! If I had known it was a girl months ago like I asked, I would be doing the girl embroideries for the Shush I'm Quilting BOW quilt along.

I dug through my stash of pre-made quilts and found this one. The letters are a panel and this is the second one like this I have made. One of our local quilt shops designed it several years ago, they have since gone out of business. :( Some of the fabrics are 30's prints. I was not able to get any more of the red to use as a binding like I used in my first version. I hope the cheery fabrics will be a hit.

This was one of my first attempts at long arm machine quilting. I used the shell groovy board. Since then I am much more comfortable with free motion quilting.

I picked a 30's back with daisies. You can't get much happier than that! I cheated and did the binding by machine.
The quilting just kind of blends in with the busy patterns.




10 comments:

  1. It's so darn cute! Great job with the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How adorable, and what a great idea to have some quilts on standby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very lovely finish, Tanya! I especially like the shell quilting. Cheated? I'm telling the Quilt Police! Ha, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lovely quilt. I hope all goes well with the new baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I love the prints you chose to coordinate with the letters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's s a really cute panel, and the 30's prints go so well with it. Good for you in trying out the longarm!

    I'm so happy you shared at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  7. Machine binding isn't cheating! You bound it, that is a yay ;) what a cute quilt, and my husband is the same, a bit oblivious to details such as baby gender.... I look forward to hearing more about your long arm, yanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So what's a shell groovy board? Because your quilting is awesome! And if you're a cheater, I'm a cheater, because I always machine bind. My hand binding just doesn't hold up to extensive use, and I want my quilts to get used!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!