Sunday, January 24, 2021

First Finishes of 2021

Snowy morning greetings! I finished three baby quilts this last week. I used one fat eighth pack and some blenders from my stash.
I set one horizontal and
the other two vertically.
I used minky backings. Two were a silvery gray and one was charcoal.
I quilted two of them with my wavy stitch in following the blocks going vertically and horizontally every three inches.
And I did one vertically with my wavy stitch every 1.5 inches. The design for these quilts is a free pattern/tutorial you can find here: https://www.diaryofaquilter.com/2019/08/bricks-baby-quilt-tutorial.html
COVID has definitely brought a baby boom among teachers in my town! I started working on two more baby quilts yesterday. Both are woodland theme and in blues and grays. I cut out fabric to make them both yesterday.
I got the blocks for one sewn together yesterday. I am using a pattern called Labyrinth and I bought it  on Etsy. I ordered some more gray minky for the backings from Joann's this morning--my local store is out. I have two more baby quilts to work on after these--one is a muted rainbow using the rainbow block from The Bonnie & Camille Quilt Bee book and the other needs to be a mauve and green. I have to figure out a design and fabrics for that one! 

Have a great week!













 

2 comments:

  1. This is just what I needed to see in my inbox this morning! I have a couple of pieces of minky and not sure how to go about quilting them. How did you baste them before quilting? I was thinking of trying to spray basting but I know I would want to wash them before gifting them to my granddaughters. How does it wash up? I know I read someplace you can't iron it. Thanks in advance for any and all help you can offer me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't iron the minky it will melt. Most people do spray baste it, but I don't like the smell. I baste with safety pins--about twice as many as a regular quilt. The minky will not shrink, but usually my top and batting do (I use Warm & White).

      Delete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!