Sunday, March 15, 2020

Fresh As A Daisy Finish

 We had Friday off from school--hooray! We did not get MLK Day or President's Day, so we were "teacher tired" and desperate for a three day weekend. I hit Target, the bank, and the grocery store early and got us stocked up. My freezer was already pretty full because I buy meat when it is marked down and I also buy in 20 one-pound increments of ground beef from a local processor. My daughter is being sent home from college, so I needed to get some things for her too. We can probably go for a month, but milk will run out and choices will get slim. I went to the liquor store on the way home on Thursday--priorities right?

I even found excellent respiratory masks at Target for my hubby and daughter. They are traveling home from her college, so masks and wipes were needed.  It is doubtful that there will be a graduation for her class in May. I am so sad for them--I have fond memories of my own college graduation. The good thing is she has her dream job--she has been interviewing since October and had to do 11 separate interviews and several writing tests. She is working for a small firm in NYC that consults with companies about mergers and acquisitions. She is scheduled to start in July, so it will be nice to have some time with her before she leaves our nest for good--I guess it is a good thing I have not taken over her room as a bigger sewing room yet!

Friday night, we got notification that our school district is closed from now through April 12th. Our spring break was scheduled for the week of April 6th, so now we have a whole month off.  We were told to expect communications from the district by Wednesday about our responsibilities during this time. We were also informed on Thursday that we would be paid and not have to make up the days, so I hope that holds true. If we go to online learning, I am not too worried as I already use Google Classroom with my groups and have great wifi to work from home--most of my students have access to electronic devices. I just wish I could have sent a bunch of books home with my kids to keep them busy reading for the month. I will get lots of reading time myself--got to love checking out books on my Kindle from the public library! After seeing what is happening in Italy, I support the decision to cancel school and wonder if it may be even longer!

I used Friday and Saturday to pin and quilt this Fresh As A Daisy baby quilt. The back is lavender minky. It has not been washed yet. I adjusted the pattern to offset my daisies slightly and it measures 49" x 51". Of course, I used my go to wavy stitch and quilted it grid style every two inches and bound it by machine. I like it so much--I am tempted to make a larger one with an aqua background and yellow flower centers to keep. It is such a cheerful design and could be rather inexpensive if I bought the Kona solids during a 60% off sale at Joann's...So many projects temptations!
Sunnyside was quilted last weekend, but I am hand binding it. https://kathysquilts.blogspot.com/2020/03/slow-sunday-stitching_15.html
I will get some photos of it completed soon. I have one more baby quilt to make for a baby due in June, then a break until September. I am still working on my Farm Girl Vintage 2 and need to add borders on a few tops and prep backings. I am trying to restrain myself from starting a new project, but with a month off and plenty of possibilities in the closet my resolve may not last.

I am a total homebody and will make the most this surreal time at home quilting, reading, and enjoying my family once they arrive back from NY hopefully tomorrow night. Please stay home and exercise social distancing practices--it will help. There are too many vulnerable people in our communities, to continue on with life as we know it. Stay healthy and make a quilt!

13 comments:

  1. I've been eyeing that daisy quilt, and yours may have just pushed me over the edge. Hope your daughter and hubby arrive home safely and without any virus stow-aways. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your latest baby quilt is just perfect--so happy-looking! This is a very challenging time for everyone, and I found your post inspiring and hopeful. Good luck to you and your family, and to all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this new piece, Tanya! Congrats on Heather's new job! What an accomplishment! Enjoy your time off. SD schools are closed til April 6...for now...who knows after that? Stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW your area is right on it--sad about possible graduation cancellation though...;((((
    So far here in CT schools are cancelled for 2 weeks but I suspect that will be extended as our case tally rises...
    What a beautiful quilt--enjoy binding it...
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super quilt - beautifull. You have dona a great job.
    Yes, we sew, knit, read - I have beautifull books, that I have wandet to read for a long time - and walk in the forest.
    Greetings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE your fresh as a daisy quilt -- The colors look great with the purple background.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a teacher as well, and our school is closed for 2 weeks spring break, with a notation to keep an eye at the end to see if we're going back. Like you my class is online so students can continue to work if need be. The world is changing, but it's doable.

    I love your quilt, the flowers make me smile. Wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, I'm staying home as much as possible. And, also quilting! I'm in the largest at-risk group, so I'm trying to just maintain a positive attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Tanya, I have no doubt that you will be amazingly productive during this time. You already are, when you keep a full schedule, so I'm excited to see what you will be sharing. I hope the family gets home and stays healthy. I too feel bad for my college kids but us moms are looking on the bright side of having them home for a bit. I'm going to savor every minute of that! And big congrats to your daughter on her job. You'll get to visit NYC often and that's a great place to have an excuse to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely quilt. Yes, adult beverages will definitely be needed in the coming weeks, LOL!! I have plenty of projects to keep me busy for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the quilts. My daughter lives in WA and since the governor ordered all schools closed until end of April,they can't enforce online schooling for the students.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi ol' friend! yes our world of teaching certainly has changed! I've already had a few "Zoom" meetings as we navigate this new world of education. I love your Fresh as a Daisy pattern....can you let me know where you got the pattern??? Sending smiles your way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your dais quilt is wonderful! as is your star quilt. So much is changing - glad you are prepared. My son won't get to graduate either... sigh... Hugs to you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!