Sunday, July 22, 2018

Sweet Inspiration


Greetings! I had the pleasure of helping my friend run her booth at our local Black Canyon Quilt Show the last couple of days. I also had a chance to wander around and check out some of the quilts. I tend to like more modern quilts than we have locally, but I found a few that I really loved. Of course, I was in love with this Elizabeth Hartman Fancy Forest Quilt. Everything about it was beautiful--the colors, the piecing, and the all over quilting. I have made several small Elizabeth Hartman projects, but I would love to tackle a bigger one like this soon.
I love rainbow quilts and was immediately attracted to this one.
 This top was in my friend's booth--it is her version of a Modern Drunkard's Path. She used Amy Butler fabrics and I love it, but curves intimidate me greatly. She is planning on having a class and depending when it is I may just have to try it!
 I spent most of this week prepping UFOs for quilting--I prepped six. I found these blocks from Carole's Scrap Dance Two Step Mystery a couple of years ago. I got them together and added the outer borders. It is 72 inches square. Two teachers I work with are getting married in a couple of weeks and I think this will be a lovely gift for their new family.
I needed a backing for it and I found this green swirl--it is much prettier than my picture! The best thing about it was the price $2.69 a yard. I bought it all! I am going to deliver this to my friend with her new longarm later this week to quilt--I hope she has fun playing with it!
Today, I have an appointment with another longarm quilter in town. She has macular degeneration and can no longer see well enough to bind her quilts. Her son has taken over the long arming business (they have quilted two quilts for me before and have the machine that loads the whole top on a frame and quilts an overall design on a king sized quilt in about an hour), so he is going to quilt my Farm Girl Vintage Quilt for me and I will bind for his mother--I love the bartering system. She has a queen sized quilt I am picking up and they also have another customer who wants me to bind a king sized quilt for her, so I am meeting her and picking her quilt up too. 

For Amazon Prime Day, I bought an Instant Pot for $59! Talk about a super bargain. I have a large kitchen with tons of storage, so I have the room for it and I think it will help with my cooking--I don't need to plan ahead as much. I tried this recipe the other night:
My chicken breasts went into the Instant Pot rock hard and covered in ice crystals, but cooked in 15 minutes and came out moist and delicious. I had a taco salad and my hubby had a quesadilla with our chicken--we were both thrilled with the new Instant Pot! Do you have an Instant Pot recipe I need? Please share!


SaveSave

9 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Instant Pot club!! I've had mine for about 2 years and it is a life changing appliance. I should send you some of my favorite recipes. Pressure Cooking Today and Amy + Jack and This Old Gal have great recipes. Here are 3 of my top things to make:

    https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-spaghetti-sauce/

    https://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/pressure-cooker-green-chile-pork-carnitas/

    https://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooker-grandma-mills-banana-nut-bread/

    GOOD LUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great deal to make with your long-arming friend! I would trade binding for quilting in a minute! It will be nice to get those two tops finished - they are both so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great deal doing binding for quilting! I've had an Instant Pot for almost 2 years and love it. There are FB groups that post recipes almost every day--lots of ideas. My favorite use is making rice, hard boiled eggs, and spaghetti with meat sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great deal, I love doing binding, and to have someone do the quilting is so perfect!!! If you're scared of Drunkard's Path (which I could never never do right) try the ruler from Sew Kind of Wonderful ( https://sewkindofwonderful.com/ ), they have a ruler that makes curves so easy, and with no pinning (which I hate to do). Take a look at their site & their books of patterns. I've made two of them and they're wonderful. It's on my list to make 3 more ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The vintage farm girl quilt is delightful. Nice to be able to barter for some machine quiting. Sounds like a good deal for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of great quilts. You have been busy prepping for quilting. I like your barter system - that is a great idea.
    I was reading about the instant pots here but it looks like we do not have that particular one here yet, unless I want to pay over $500. Crazy.
    Cheers, Karen.
    http://sunburntquilts.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are right....LOTS of inspiration! THanks for sharing. Curious what pantograph they'll choose for your Lori Holt...please do share. :) :) WOW!! You are going to be busy binding....but like you, I too enjoy a good bartering.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did Carole's Scrap Dance Two Step Mystery quilt too. Another one that needs finishing. Love my Instant Pot, it makes perfect rice. My kids got it for me for Christmas last year. Here are a couple recipes that I've made & liked:

    https://nomnompaleo.com/post/4207543396/damn-fine-chicken

    https://thecastawaykitchen.com/2016/12/easy-indian-butter-chicken/

    Both of these chefs have other recipes you can browse and adjust to your family's taste buds. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are fun - I especially like that rainbow quilt. wow!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!