Friday, July 7, 2017

A Perfect Week

 We had a great week in my neck of the woods! My daughter was able to come home for a quick visit from college--she had not been home since January. It was only five days, but they were wonderful. She got in cuddle time with our dogs, Mexican & Thai food, kayaking with my hubby, driving her convertible, eating some goodies from our garden, and sleeping in her own bed.

 I made a couple of quick projects. First was Moda's free pillow pattern Stripes & Stars. I used left overs from my Grand Old Flag Quilt. The only thing I bought was a pillow form. You can find the pattern here: http://unitednotions.com/fp_stripes-stars-flag-pillow.pdf
 I also made another Grand Old Flag block using Pat Sloan's free pattern and used it as part of a new door banner.
 Here is a picture of my front porch. I want to paint a WELCOME sign on some old barn wood to stick in the right corner---hopefully before summer ends.
Both of these projects, I quilted using my built in "Wave Quilt" stitch on my Pfaff. This is a picture of what it looks like on my screen. This stitch is very forgiving and gives nice texture to my quilts. I do use my walking foot with it.
 After I dropped my daughter at the airport yesterday, I hit the fabric store for some retail therapy--a needed distraction. I bought half yards of the whites for Lori Holt's upcoming Bee Happy Sew Along. My mom gave me the gingham fat quarters. This is an appliqué project--I will not be doing it by hand--Wonder Under and my buttonhole stitch will be my method.
Isn't it amazing? Details should be on her blog at the beginning of August and the sewing starts on August 28th. I hope her new Spelling Bee book comes out soon because I am itching for a new project to start!



13 comments:

  1. I know how you feel. My son moved to Alaska to finish college. I cried the day we put him on the airplane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your pillow and flag!! I printed out the pillow pattern too and hope to make it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound like a perfect weekend. Glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I preordered the book from Fat Q Shop and it's supposed to be here "in July". I'm looking forward to it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your new fabrics, and that Bee Happy project is wonderful. I bet you are itching to start!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Bee Happy project looks interesting. Love your pillow too. Thanks for linking to sew, stitch, snap and share.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a fun bunch of fabrics you will be working with. Thanks for the info on the cute flag too. I need to update my July wall hanging -- the one I have is way too skinny for the space. Maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you were able to enjoy a little time with your daughter! Love the pillow, wish my naughty doggy didn't each pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The door banner is adorable and looks so nice on your door. I love your front porch - it is so inviting! It's so tough watching our kids leave home. I'm lucky in that both my boys live close enough I can get to them by car in less than two hours. I hope your daughter gets to come home again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful projects, I really like the pillow. Glad you got some time in with your daughter. Ours heads off to college in the fall. Not looking forward to her not being home all the time, but I guess you adjust.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your patriotic projects! Thank you for sharing them on Midweek Makers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my goodness!!
    I am in love with your flag pillow!
    thanks so much for linking up!

    brooke@sillymamaquilts.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!