Friday, December 30, 2016

2016 Goal Failure


 Happy almost New Year! Look what I got together--my Scrap Dance Waltz Quilt. Mine has 81 blocks set 9 x 9. Right now, it is about 85 inches square. This is going to be a quilt for our bed. We have a queen sized bed, but I always buy my comforters and quilts king sized to make sure they are extra long and I don't bother with a bed skirt.
I am a huge Bonnie and Camille fan and hoard their fabrics, but I dug into my stash for this beauty. This is part of a quilt along from Carole over at: https://frommycarolinahome.wordpress.com/2016/11/16/scrap-dance-waltz-quilt-along/
Isn't the design gorgeous? I love the curvy looking star that forms from the gray background!

I want it to be about 100 inches square, so I am planning on a 2.5 inch border in the gray and I ordered an aqua print from the Little Ruby line for an outer border and pillow cases. I hit a good sale on Etsy and found yardage at $6 a yard. I also got a striped red for the binding. I already bought some of the gray for the backing. My hubby even likes the design even though I did not bother to consult him. The quilt is so busy, so I don't need a lot of fancy quilting. However, I want it quilted pretty heavily to help it endure lots of being laid upon--I lay and read on our bed a bunch.

I have never made a quilt this big, so it was a challenge. I laid the blocks out on my living room floor to try to not have any of the same prints touching and sewed it together in thirds. As soon as my fabric arrives, I will get the borders attached. I hope my mom's longarm is ready for this quilting challenge.
I got together with my mom yesterday and worked on my Magic of Christmas blocks. These were my December OMG goal. This is a quilt along from Lisa Bongean: https://lisabongean.com
Lisa has posted all 25 blocks, but I have decided not to use all of her designs. Some of them had nearly 100 pieces for a six inch block--NO THANKS! I also don't think of this project as a Christmas quilt, so I don't feel the need to only make star blocks. I dug out some of my quilt books and will be making more six inch blocks to get this project to a decent size--25 six inch blocks do not make a big enough quilt.

I feel like I did meet my original OMG goal, but work will continue on this project. You can see how productive everyone else was this month here: 
I got back from quilting at my mom's last night and took all of my Christmas quilts down and put my winter/snow/blue themed stuff up. I have a blank spot that needs a quilt. I remembered that Cheri Saffiote Payne had posted a pattern on Facebook that was a companion to one of my other quilts, so I headed into my sewing room and started cutting up some blues from my stash to make it. This comes from her Snow Village pattern and is the Saltbox Quilt. The blank block gets a snowman and the houses will get some wool felt roofs, windows, and chimneys. I also will embroider the trees in to top part. Nothing like an impromptu project to keep me busy for this weekend!

I totally sucked on completing my 2016 quilting goals! I wanted to:
1. quilt my Farm Girl Vintage top--not done
2. make my pigs quilt--blocks done, but not together
3. make my Down in the Garden as a BOM in 2016--two blocks are only done--FAIL
4. make examples for my Quilty Fun class--I did pretty well on this one--I made half dozen examples
5. get my daughter off to college---DONE--she is doing awesome at Colgate University

Since I was such a failure with my most of my 2016 quilting goals, I am not bothering with making any specific goals for 2017--no pressure either!

27 comments:

  1. That Scrap Dance Waltz is fabulous, good job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your quilt looks great!! I am loving your colors. Cannot wait to see it all done and on your bed! Thank you for linking to my QAL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus, you made so many other things you didn't know would come along, your year was a success!!

      Delete
  3. Love your scrap dance waltz. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Scrap Dance Waltz is so gorgeous, it surely makes up for some of those things that didn't happen. I keep a list of quilts I'm interested in making, but try not to set any big goals. That leaves me free to enjoy the process and my quilting whims.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 100 pieces for a 6 inch block! I would not want to be doing that. I can see why you changed some of the blocks to others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, hey! You did better than me and you got a girl off to college. I think I only finished 3 baby rag quilts this year. Oh well... I really love your waltz quilt. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You may think you missed your goal but I look at how much you achieved and say it is wonderful. Look at the size of your bed quilt! That counts as 2 or 3 others at least! Don't be so hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been enjoying your Instagram feed on your scrap dance waltz. It is wonderful!

    I'm sure your aren't the only one with some 2016 fails, I have yet to add mine up.

    May 2017 bring you joy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tanya, you are incredibly amazing! Why in the world would you ever think you are a failure at not getting some pieces done?? Yikes!! I love what you make & want to live in your quilt room!!!
    Happy New Year to you & your family.....ps. drove by Feather St. the other day!! Miss you & your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your B&C quilt it's so beautiful!!!
    Have a great 2017:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Scrap Dance Waltz quilt is so gorgeous! As for goals not being completed, it looks like you accomplished so much from what I've seen. I need to add a red and white/cream quilt to 2017 goals...maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your colorway for SD Waltz best of those I've seen. Though you didn't achieve all the goals you stated, got lots of other quilting done so I'd say you just took an alternate route! Happy 2017 to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your scrap dance waltz top is really fantastic! I'm sharing this with my group that makes a charity quilt every year. I would love to use this pattern.
    And don't be so hard on yourself for not meeting those goals. Maybe you should just consider them suggestions? 😝

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love you B&C quilt. I am also a big fan of her fabrics and I like the way you used gray as your neutral. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. As soon as I saw your post title I was sad...and kinda thought your were crazy (LOL!) As you are always so way productive and create the most awesome quilts!! With that said, I agree you don['t need any 2017 goals...I mean look at the energy behind your weekend blue quilt! LOL!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!! V

    ReplyDelete
  16. There is no failures in quilting, just a bunch of WIPS. Your Scrap Dance Waltz looks great. I've done 4 blocks and decided it will be a RSC17 project. Hope your daughter's trip back to Hamilton is uneventful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my, but look at that gorgeous quilt with all those pieces!!! It will be a stunning bed quilt! And good for you for not setting quilting goals for 2017! So freeing!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You always have SO much going on and lots of finishes...sometimes I think that you must sew at the speed of light so as to your failure I must respond with a resounding Bullcrap! :) Lovely Scrap Dance !!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow-your Scrap Dance Waltz is amazing--love it!! I had to download Cheri's pattern, love your idea to do the houses in blue--I may have to steal that idea--lol!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wouldn't think of your efforts as failures. You got some things done just not as much as you wanted. There's always tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Scrap Dance Waltz is a success in my mind. I want to do that. Wow oh WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Scrap Dance Waltz is amazing. You've definitely had a sucessful year. You're not allowed to use the word failed!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your new bed quilt is gorgeous. I look forward to seeing the finish.

    Your 2016 was still quite amazing. Remember all of those charity quilts? And I saw plenty of eye candy along the way.

    Here's to "no pressure" 2017. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  24. How can you not love your blog post title? It made me smile.
    I set small goals, one quilt at a time from start to finish before plunging into another project.
    Popped by from NTT
    http://thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Scrap Dance is gorgeous! I know you got lots done this year, maybe not what was in your goals. Enjoy your stress free 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can so relate, I'm not putting any pressure on myself either! Just stitch when you can and enjoy the process. I think you're doing fabulous and I love all of your shares (finished or not!)

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!