Thursday, July 28, 2016

Summer Quilt Tops

I put the final borders on my Town Square Quilt today! I am so pleased with how it came out. This design can be found in Lori Holt's book, Quilty Fun. I started this the first week of June and made it my OMG goal for June, but did not get it done. At least it was done before July was over!
Here is a closer view of the houses, trees, stars, and courthouse steps. My border fabric is a white with aqua diamonds on it.
The center blocks are bright and colorful. Once I get this quilted, I plan on using it for a tablecloth for my kitchen table. Quilts as tablecloths are not my idea. I attended a family reunion at a beautiful farm in Missouri years ago and saw vintage quilts as tablecloths there. I have gotten many questions about using quilts as tablecloths, so here are some helpful hints:
1. Avoid light colored fabrics (mediums and darks hide stains better)
2. Use high quality 100% cotton fabrics because it will get washed more often than a regular quilt (I wash mine once a week at least)
3. Use cotton batting like Warm & Natural (the thinner batting accommodates dishes)
4. Don't bother with hand binding, go ahead and machine bind to help with wear and tear
5. Quilt tablecloths are excellent at absorbing spills--these spills are delicious to dogs. Lola, my border collie mix, ate a couple of holes in quilt tablecloths that were especially scrumptious.
I have this aqua with flowers for my backing. I have not decided if I am going to quilt it on my Pfaff or use my mom's long arm. It is 62 inches square.
I also got my Bloom top done. I tried to keep up with Lori Holt's Sew Along this spring, but I ran into sewing machine issues which slowed me down. I used a blanket stitch on my machine for my appliqué. I also made my quilt smaller with less sashing, so it can be a baby quilt. It measures 42 x 52 inches. I hope to pin this one and quilt it up this weekend.
My hubby's sunflowers are completely in bloom, so I cut some and put them in my Fiestaware pitcher. I love the color in my kitchen.
I also finally got around to lining the bottom of my metal, vintage picnic basket. I used some sunflower fabric and foam core. This will be one of my handwork containers. 

I hope my productivity continues this weekend!

18 comments:

  1. That is a great table topper quilt, I like the houses. Quilted table covers are wonderful for protecting tables. You have a lot of great projects today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous table cloth quilt! You've been a busy girl. We had so much rain this spring that despite trying twice, our sunflowers never grew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, your projects are so bright and pretty! Love the colors of your new finishes! Is your daughter counting down the days until she leaves for school?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pieced houses and twirling stars are just great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Such great projects. Each is worthy of a separate post. I love that Town Square quilt. Great fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooo! Tanya! Your Town Square quilt is just fabulous. Most excellent TGIFF share. :D Sure do love the Bloom top, too. And yes - the sunflowers are perfect there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt tops are beautiful, well done on finishing them! I had to laugh at the comment about your dog!! Wonder what was so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful tablecloth! I'm sure you will love being able to see it every day on your table. Thanks for the tips about using quilts as tablecloths. I've often thought about doing the same and now I just might!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Bloom top strikes my fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a couple of quilts which I use as table cloths, no wadding inside, just top and backing. They work very well, but as you say, they certainly get laundered more often . One of mine is a memory quilt, a simple rail fence using New Zealand designed fabrics with a pale grey. I took the pieces away when we did a 3 month caravan holiday in the South Island, and wrote down all the places we stayed, and the attractions we visited with my magic marking pen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, two quilt top finishes. Amazing work.
    Love the way your version of Town Square has ended up. It looks great. And Bloom is gorgeous and colourful too. Very productive!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL you are on such a roll this summer it makes my head spin. LOVE these and the sunflowers as well....mine are growing but not opening yet. But down the line I'll have some very noisy and happy little yellow finches feasting on the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL you are on such a roll this summer it makes my head spin. LOVE these and the sunflowers as well....mine are growing but not opening yet. But down the line I'll have some very noisy and happy little yellow finches feasting on the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your Town Square quilt. I am going to add that to my wish list of quilts to make. Using it as a tablecloth is a great idea. You'll get to see it everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both quilts are beautiful! I just may have to make a Town Square Quilt in the future .... yours is so cute, looking forward to seeing it all quilted up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have two beautiful quilts in this post. They are both just fantastic!
    --Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!