Friday, May 29, 2015

Treasures

 Now that I am on summer vacation, I have been sewing, reading, and shopping up a storm! I ran down to the little fabric shop in my town and found some good fabrics for a quilt's border. Right around the corner from the fabric shop is an antique/vintage shop. I like to pop in there and see if there is anything I have to have. I spotted this sewing box there last summer and it was over $60 then, but today it was in the sale shed with no price tag. When I went into the shop, they said it was $24. SOLD!
 For that price, I figured I could just paint it--of course when I say "I," I mean my hubby! The sides are a pretty wood, but the top is not. My hubby checked it out and thinks I should just dust it which I did with some lemon oil. The lemon oil helped.
 He thinks it was handmade. It is pretty heavy. When collapsed, it measures 16 inches long, 9 inches wide, and 10 inches tall.
 Both sides expand out like this. The expanding cubbies are 2.5 inches deep and have an old laminate in the bottom--maybe from the late 1960's or early 1970's? The base has the same laminate and is 4 inches deep.
 There is actually quite a bit of storage in it.
 There were some old sewing odds and ends in it. Mostly vintage buttons and some really old fasteners with price tags for 25 cents. I condensed all the vintage goodies into one cubby.
Here is the view from the top. I like the glass knobs on the top and the sides. My hubby thinks they should be changed to something more industrial, but I think they would be cute if I painted it turquoise. He is not in love with the painting idea, but we will see what I decide. :0)
 I finished one of the Medallion Log Cabin quilts I made!
 I quilted it on my Pfaff with the wavy stitch both horizontally and vertically about every 2 inches.
 I pulled it out of the dryer this morning and ran outside to get some pictures.
 I pieced the back to get it wide enough.
 I did label it and plan on donating it to Happy Chemo as part of Hands 2 Help Charity Quilt Challenge 2015. It measures 54 inches square which is a good size to take back and forth for chemo treatments.
 I am usually not a fan of my quilting showing up this much, but I really like how it came out--so in this case I like it!
I am going over to my mom's today to use the longarm and quilt this top.  I am going to attempt free motion quilting with flowers and loops...

23 comments:

  1. Your Medallion Log Cabin turned out great! That pattern is on my to-make list. Love how you quilted it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your patience to wait for the deal! Just think what else you can get with the $36.00 you saved!

    Lovely job on the wave quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your 'new' sewing box.... It will look so cute painted up! Your medallion log cabin quilt is great and the quilting looks really good! Have a good weekend quilting your other quilt top! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your quilts and the quilting. Wiggle lines are so forgiving.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rainbow goodness in the medallion quilt is wonderful. It turned out really well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a terrific bargain/buy! I love those antique sewing boes, too. Nice finish on that medallion quilt; you do such lovely work...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree with you that turquoise would be lovely and your quilts look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your medaillon log cabin turned out gorgeous. And I love that old fashioned sewing box, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy vacation! Love the quilting on your log cabin, especially the grid work and how it shows up on the back. Can't wait to see your finished Sunflower Star quilt. Great fabric choices and a great design!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought the sewing box looked handmade. You got a bargain for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your box is quite fabulous! I am envious of your wonderful find! And of course, your quilt is lovely.
    Pugs and kisses,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think painting it a robin's egg blue would be perfect.

    The quilts are wonderful. I like them both.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always admired that medallion log cabin. Yours looks great! Love that sunflower one, too. I've seen a very similar sewing box, but it had a quilted cover for the top. Congrats on your fine purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilting looks great! Love the second top, too. My mom has one of those sewing boxes somewhere. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your medallion log cabin quilt! Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A wonderful find indeed!! I keep looking at yard sales and thrift shops for a wonderful find but haven't found one this good yet. Great looking quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful that you have donated it to charity. Love the wavy stitching. Thanks for linking up with TGIFF.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like your wavy quilting, Tanya. Did you just use the simple 'S' on your Pfaff and lengthen it? I seem to be the only one struggling with SLQ and patterns, I think.

    Great find on your sewing box. It pays to pick through the bargain sides in shops. I think I agree with your husband. I've tried painting over things that have been varnished like your box, and had a hard time getting the paint to cure correctly. I've not been happy then. You could take some really favorite pieces of fabric, interface them stiffly, cut into medallions, and do circular backs behind your beautiful knobs. Maybe use your turquoise there?

    I appreciate your linking up to the Pet Project Show each week.

    Julie @ Pink Doxies

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE this quilt! Super yummy with all of those bold colors, it reminds me of that lovely treasure you did receive! I love the wood and the glass knobs, so super perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The sewing box is such an awesome little find! And your log cabin medallion quilt is awesome, I love how versatile that block can be.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your Medallion Log Cabin turned out beautifully! I love the quilting you did - I’ve tried it before, but not so densely. Yours looks so beautiful! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice finish, the medallion log cabin is very pretty and I like how you quilted it. Fun sewing box, I have a similar one given to me by a friend, it was her mother-in-law's.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The quilting turned out beautifully. Congratulations on your finish. Hope the long arm quilting went well. Two finishes is most impressive!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!