Sunday, December 8, 2013

Thread Organization

I had my hubby install these thread racks last weekend. I bought three of them for $9.99 each at Joann's. I put them under my perle cotton where they are out of the way, but easily accessible as I am working at my sewing machine...

I am storing the matching bobbins on top with the help of skewer pieces.

I buy my thread from Connecting Threads because it works well in my machine, it is 100% cotton, and it fits my budget. I order a couple of times a year when it is on sale. I have quite the rainbow started.



The cubbies on my sewing machine table were where my thread used to reside, but my quilt tops kept getting hooked on the spools and thread was being dragged all over my sewing room. I wish the drawers were on the left side and the thread cubbies were on the right, it seems like a design flaw!
I worked on the final blocks for this sampler I have been working on all year from the joinedatthehip blog. It will be completely together before December 31st, but probably not quilted.
I put the binding on my scarecrow quilt today and finished the hand work today. I hope to get outside to get some good pictures soon, but with a foot of snow outside, it might be a while! Hopefully, I will get some more time in my sewing room this week.


12 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! My thread cones are out of control. This is definitely going on my project list. I am in the process of cleaning and decluttering my sewing room, so this post is perfect timing for me! Thanks and have a great day!
    (Found you through Karen @ Sew Many Ways.)

    Val @ artsybuildinglady.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came to look at your slow stitching but totally got sidetracked by all the wonderful thread! So jealous of your organization not to mention all the great color selection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sampler is gorgeous ! So bright and cheery...it just POPS!

    Thanks for visiting me earlier...I answered your question but will also answer here...I am not very experienced at hand-piecing, just picked it up to refresh learning it a wee bit 20 years ago...so were you to try it to see if you liked it I'd just pick a simple block / I find that the hand piecing is relaxing but preparing the templates is a bit of a chore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the finish! What a great thread organizer you found!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute Colorful organizer and display for your threads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful threads, I wish pearl cotton would come in larger balls. Love your scrarecrow quilt is that a crab apple hill design pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your fall quilt.
    great way to store all your rainbow of threads. I love connecting threads thread too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your thread racks, I used to have mine stacked on racks too but the area I live gets really dusty, especially in winter! So I had no choice but to store them in plastic containers. I preferred to have them in plain sight, but alas.. I would rather have clean spools of thread, he he

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sampler quilt is beautiful! I have one of those thread racks fromJoann's, too, but I haven't thought to hang it on the wall. Thanks for the skewer idea, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your rainbow thread. Do you think it would work to put the bobbins under the spool, or is the holder not long enough?

    ReplyDelete
  11. you DO have quite the thread rainbow going on! and that sampler is going to look amazing.

    Thank you so much for sharing this at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I just love thread. All that saturated color is very stimulating to look at isn't it? Sampler is fun. LeeAnna Paylor
    leeannaquilts@gmail.com lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!