Thursday, December 5, 2013

Sewing Snow Day

As I posted yesterday, today was our first snow day in 20+ years. I grew up in southern California where there were not snow days, but we missed school for major wildfires because schools became evacuation centers... I did not get out of my pajamas with 12 inches of snow outside and 10 degrees for most of the day, I was not going anywhere! I was slightly delayed in getting to my sewing room as my teenager did not get up until 10:30am and I did not want to dare waking her up. So, I worked on handwork until the coast was clear.

I have been working on the Shush I'm Doing the ABC BOW challenge. I confess that I got impatient and just decided to finish the blocks and put it all together. The blocks were simple and went together very quickly.


I added the borders last night since I could stay up late knowing I did not have to go to work today. I used scraps for the blocks and the border fabric came from my stash. All the perle cotton I already had on hand. I will also find a backing in my stash, which means the only thing I purchased to make this quilt is the book. I also bought the book for 50% off from Connecting Threads. (Can I tell you how much I love shopping at Connecting Threads? I love their thread, their fabric, and all the books they price so well!!!)

These pictures are not the best because they were taken inside. I will get better ones when it is all quilted!

I was worried about the blue border fabric being too busy, but I like it!

I used brighter fabrics than were shown in the book, but I think they make the quilt more intriguing. I find myself studying the blocks as it hangs in my sewing room.

I plan on hand quilting the fabric surrounding the embroideries with a neutral perle cotton. I think some primitive stars will be cute in the blue border.

If it wasn't so cold in my garage right now, I would get out there and pin it now, but I think I will wait until tomorrow when I get home from work and am not wearing pajamas and it should be warmer.

The puppy block is my favorite and I embroidered in colors the same as our youngest dog and the perpetual puppy (she is over 3 years old now!), Bella. Unlike Bella, this embroidered puppy behaves! I do not have a baby in mind yet for this quilt, but I will just add it to my stock of baby quilts ready to gift.

This afternoon, I also made these Kindle pouches for my niece and nephew for Christmas. They are getting Kindle Fires from their parents and I said I would make these. I also put Kindle gift cards in them.

My elf, the teenager, is wrapping them as I type.Space fabric was requested since I could not find any Harry Potter fabric. I followed Kelly over at My Quilt Infatuation's fabulous tutorial.


I whipped up these blocks this morning. They are the final two blocks for the Country Threads BOM Sampler. I got an email from Country Threads today saying they are working on the putting them all together instructions and hopefully, I will have the top together before January 1st!

I think my first snow day ever was really productive! I also washed all the flannel sheets and remade the beds. Cooked dinner in the crock pot, we are having Swedish meatballs thanks to a recipe from Pinterest. (I cannot believe I actually had all the ingredients on hand!) Plus, I traced some more embroideries to work on tonight as hubby and I watch the Thursday night NFL game on our new 60 inch flat screen (it was a very early Xmas and anniversary present). I hope we get another snow day sooner than the 20+ years since the last one!

8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful quilt!! Your blocks look fantastic and I agree, the bright colours really add to the youthfulness! I'm working on the girl one and am hoping to finish by Christmas so I can give it to my daughter!
    After seeing yours, it makes me want to start the boy one next!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so cute! It looks like you made great use of your day off. We are out of school today, but unfortunately, here in the Memphis area, it is glazing everything with a thick layer of ice. Not nearly as fun!

    Thank you so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in Colorado, too, and would have loved a snow day! Unfortunately, we didn't get one - just frigid cold and inside recess. (I'm a teacher!). Oh well, I got back to my sewing tonight! Live your Kindle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow my last sentence didn't come out right! Love your Kindle covers-they are such a great idea!

      Delete
  4. That looks just fantastic Tanya - and motivates me to keep going. I can't wait to see it quilted. If you're hand quilting. It might give us a chance to catch up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome quilt and I love the kindle pouches :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. that quilt is so sweet.
    great idea making the covers and putting in a gift card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an adorable ABC quilt! I love the stitched blocks and scrappy borders!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!