Sunday, January 12, 2020

Welcome 2020!

Happy 2020! We stayed in on New Year's Eve and enjoyed our hygge lifestyle. Hygge is a Danish notion where you enjoy the cozy, simple things of life--a good meal of comfort food, hot drinks, warm blankets or quilts in our house, a crackling fire, cuddling our dogs, family time, etc.

I made the flying geese for the Frolic Mystery Quilt which was clue 6 that came out on New Year's Eve. I have never made flying geese with Bonnie's method--it cuts down on waste, but I am more accurate with the rectangles and squares method. I am glad we finally got to work with our green fabrics.
Clue 7 posted last Friday and I spent most of last Friday and Saturday completing it. Someone did some math and posted that there are over 3100 pieces already for this mystery quilt. I am excited to see how it is all going to come together. We have not used a lot of the neutrals we pulled for it, I have a feeling they will factor into the setting...

I am almost done with Clue 8 because it involved no cutting and just some easy piecing. I think we are making two different blocks because we are keeping things in sets.
My One Monthly Goal (OMG) for January is to get my Sunday Best Sampler top finished. I have most of the components done, but need to lay it all out to figure out my block placement. These are the projects I wish I had a real design wall for...
I have my first finish of 2020! This is a baby quilt for a coworker. I used the baby quilt design from Spelling Bee by Lori Holt--I did make mine slightly bigger, but I wish I had even gone a little bigger because of shrinkage. It measures 37 x 41 inches after washing.
The truck block is called Grandpa's Truck and can be found in Lori's new Farm Girl Vintage 2 book.
I used a minky backing and quilted it with the wavy stitch on my Pfaff. I quilted along the perimeter of the squares and on the diagonals. I only purchased the minky backing and the binding otherwise all the fabric came from my stash. I have five more baby quilts to make for March through June babies, so those will be taking up some time in the next few months.

Happy 2020!


3 comments:

  1. That is a great first finish for 2020! I absolutely love how you put his name at the top and the truck is adorable!

    I an anxious to see how your frolic mystery comes out. Those green and blue flying geese are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is a lot of pieces in the mystery quilt! I have several of Bonnies' quilts in different stages of completion so I'm sitting this one out. I thought I'd pass along my easy design wall. My sewing room has bifold closet doors so I attached small Command hooks to the top of each panel. I hung small binder/bulldog clips from each hook and hung a flannel backed dollar store tablecloth from them. It's easy to remove when you want to access the closet. I think I bought the books and clips at Wal-Mart. Maybe something similar would work for you. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tanya, your frolic is really coming along. Clue 8 was easy - not so much sewing. Your Austin quilt is super cute.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!