Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Untraditional Thanksgiving!

 Happy Thanksgiving Week! I have the whole week off and it started on Friday afternoon with a stop by the fabric store to find a border for my Bee Happy Quilt. I auditioned a couple of dozen possibilities and settled on a green very similar to the one Lori Holt used in hers. I have a teal backing from my stash and they will definitely work together. This is so big--my thoughts of hand quilting have disappeared. I would really like to have this one quilted with a honeycomb design, so I think I will send it to https://quiltingbydavid.com He has posted a few pictures on Instagram of some quilts done that way. It will probably have to wait until February with my budget tapped out for Christmas.
I also grabbed the red border for my Patchwork Swoon Quilt. I made this quilt with a combination of Kate Spain's North Woods fabrics and some Bonnie & Camille scraps. This one is about 70 inches square. I am going to hit the Joann's sale and buy a minky backing and I made an appointment with my local quilter for a snowflake design all over this one. I want this one done in time for our Christmas break on December 21st! I also need to get the football quilt done in time for the playoffs even though the Broncos will not be in them this year!
I am keeping up with the Spelling Bee Sew Along. E was the letter last week
and F is the letter this week. I splurged on the letter board from Joann's with a 60% off coupon--it was going to be on my Christmas wish list, but for $8 I could not resist! 
My Christmas Gift Making groove is already on! I made four gifts for my sister's family a week and a half ago--in time to journey with my parents to Las Vegas for Thanksgiving and save me on the shipping costs. I used a Cozy Christmas charm pack to make four Christmas pillow tops. One is done and the other three are awaiting the embroidery. I think they will be sweet gifts for some work friends. Here is the link to that free and easy pattern:

As I titled this post, "Untraditional Thanksgiving" let me explain. My parents left for Las Vegas to see my sister's family on Sunday and our daughter went to Scotland for the week--it was more than $500 cheaper for her to fly to Scotland instead of coming home. With everyone gone, that leaves my hubby and me alone! I offered to make a small scale Thanksgiving dinner with a turkey breast and the trimmings, but he requested chicken wontons. Excellent choice--much less labor and delicious! I probably will make a decadent dessert, but that means the whole day for football, quilting, and the National Dog Show. It sounds like a dream--low key and some of my favorite things...I doubt I will get out of my pajamas! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!




SaveSave

15 comments:

  1. Your planned day sounds wonderful! I, too, shall have a quiet day. Just my husband and myself. I'll keep a date with my sewing machine while he watches football. Not sure what we'll eat yet as we haven't shopped for it and you know the lines at the grocery store are long because people only seem to eat at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tanya,
    That Thanksgiving sound fab to me as well. I love your two quiltie goodness, and I can see why you want them quilted sooner than later. Good luck with your football quilt - I look forward to seeing that as well. Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy those wontons and the Dog Show (I forgot about that - I'll be watching too). ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Thanksgiving plans sound perfect - enjoy them! I love your two quilt top finishes, too. I had forgotten about the patchwork Swoon - it's amazing! Happy Thanksgiving, Tanya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun day, I'll be in my pj's most of the day too! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Traditions are lovely, but the unconventional is fun, even more sometimes! Enjoy your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had an unusual Thanksgiving also with just three of us. It was really fun tho - sometimes different is a good thing! Love your patchwork swoon quilt. Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your tops-- sew much fun. But I really love your letter board!! It's perfect for the alphabet you are making! And last but not least--Scotland??!!? Wow! What a lucky girl! I went there a few years ago and completely fell in love with everything about it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Bee Happy quilt is absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats! on your TWO newly completed quilt tops. I absolutely LOVE your Scrappy Christmas Swoon quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where do I find the details about the spelling bee sew along.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Bee Happy quilt is so cute! Christmas Swoon is perfect with
    the red border. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Patchwork Swoon and Bee Happy are tops done! Yay! If only we had a week off work more often. I just love your Bee Happy quilt It makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both quilt tops are really great! Hope you share the football quilt, even though our Broncos will not be in the playoffs. We are fans, even through the awful years!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Getting to have a home-retreat for quilting is a great way to spend Thanksgiving. :) I really like your border choices for both quilts - they perfectly complement them.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!