Sunday, June 25, 2017

Quilt Shop Projects

 This week I have continued to help out one of my local quilt shops with making samples. I made this Touchdown top in Bronco colors and kid sized. This is a great pattern designed by Cluck Cluck Sew and I am looking forward to making a bigger one for my hubby.
 This one is my own design and I need help coming up with a name for the pattern. Any ideas?
 This is also my design--meet Quilt Berries. The disappearing ink I used for the quilting has not all disappeared, but will in a couple of more days. I finished binding it this morning for Slow Sunday Stitching: https://kathysquilts.blogspot.com/2017/06/slow-sunday-stitching_25.html
I tried something new--bunting! I made two of these that say "Row By Row." The one pictured is the smaller one. They were quite easy and fun. I am thinking of making some buntings for myself now...

For those of you like me who have a tight budget for quilting, I recommend helping out your local quilt shop with sample sewing. They often need help with making samples and it lets me play with fabrics. They give me a discount for helping out and I get the samples when they are done with them. It is a win win for both parties.
 I helped my dad out and put together a kit for my mom to make a Lori Holt Milk Cow Quilt. This was his anniversary present to her. I can't wait to see how it comes out with her brown and white cows.
 A few weeks ago, I went fabric shopping at a town a half hour north of us. There is a charity shop near the fabric store that benefits hospice. I always pop in there looking for treasures...They had a Singer treadle machine that was in pretty bad shape. It was priced $49--I did not buy it initially. I thought about it and decided to call and see if it was still available and amazingly it was. I was planning on buying it just for the base. My hubby went with me to pick it up and agreed it was a good deal and would be fun to repurpose it. It was manufactured in November 1910.
 Here is the machine itself--someone sewed a lot on it! We will probably sell the machine on eBay and maybe some of the drawers--there were 6. I want to keep them, but either way the project will pretty much be free.
 My hubby painted the base as we decided to use it as a table on our front porch. The top is an old cabinet door left over from my ironing station repurposing project. Doesn't it look great?
Yesterday, I went over to my mom's and used her long arm to quilt my Pineapple Picnic Quilt. I will be binding that today and working on a squirrel project I started on Friday night! Stay tuned...

19 comments:

  1. Lovely shop samples Tanya..I work for a shop too and we are always struggling to find enough time to make samples! I love what you have done with the treadle base ad it looks like you have found the perfect spot for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that football quilt..will be so cute for a kid! I love the pineapple as well. I'm finished up a patriotic pineapple (for next 4th of July I guess). Gonna have to look around and see what the milk cow quilt will look like. You're getting a LOT done!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your pineapple quilt! I would suggest something like "Pineapple Parade", which I think carries the sense of "standing tall".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy I know a grandson that would love a football quilt like that and what you two did with the sewing machine base is great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sewing machine head is quite pretty with those decals. Your re-purosed project is quite nice though I fear it might rust outside. I have a treadle base that I purchased years ago with a table top on it. I wish it were an oak top. Right now, the table is in the garage. Used to be in the house. I saw a picture just a couple days ago (maybe on Facebook) of a treadle base with a small top and turned into a bathroom sink for a quilt shop. Really a neat idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You two have put out some lovely projects with the repurposing of the treadle base and your quilts and helping your dad plan your moms present!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those quilts. They are all so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute Singer table. Now I've got to go to the thrift shops to find one. The pineapple and strawberry quilts are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That football quilt will be very popular!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Tanya,
    Wow, you have a lot of newsy news for us this week. I love, love, LOVE the sewing machine table by the front door. It came out fabulously! Then the football quilt - my first thought as I was clicking on the image was that it HAD to be for the Broncos in those colors. Perfect! What a fun package for your mom - I am sure she loved it, and I hope you share what she makes with us. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm visiting via the Linky Party at Freemotion By the River.. Your thumbnail pic caught my eye...yea a Bronco quilt. We( mostly my whole family) are Bronco fans. I am going to have to search out that pattern at Cluck Cluck Sew. Thanks...love the porch table..what a good hubby you have!

    ReplyDelete
  12. HiTanya,
    Love the sewing machine table!! Great idea!
    I so wish you were still living in SD...I need your inspiration & energy!! Hope you're enjoying your summer...I'm sure you are!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow!!! love your sample quilts!

    thanks so much for linking up!

    brooke@sillymamaquilts.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your quilts! And the treadle stand looks great with the added flower pieces - great touch! Thank you for sharing today on Midweek Makers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad you shared on Midweek Makers! Your quilts are so pretty! Love that football one! I've not made bunting either - but I like yours! Your treadle stand is such a welcoming touch! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How wonderful that you worked out a deal with your local quilt shop. All these quilts will make the shop that much more cheerful. That vintage machine was a fabulous find and the table is darling. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have been so busy. I am late catching up though. The Touchdown quilt does look good. And yes, I agree with you about sewing samples for the shop. Great way to benefit both parties.
    Both your berry and pineapple quilts are looking wonderful. Love the way you have made them.
    The bunting looks like fun and I can see all sorts of different seasonal designs.
    What a great idea for your mother as a gift. Very mart.
    Now that table made from the singer machine does look great. Wonderful work from hubby, too.
    Have a great weekend.
    PS. My blog seems to be back running after many months of problems. Yo may need to re- follow.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Normally, I like to try to come up with some kind of play on words when people ask for name suggestions but "Be a Pineapple" seems to fit as it reminds the buyer that there is a saying with this quilt. :)

    Love the treadle base and what you did with it. Fun use of old sewing machinery!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the football one!! That is really cute!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!