Sunday, March 26, 2017

Pencil Pouches

 Happy Sunday night! I won these beautiful reproduction fabrics from Martingale over on Instagram and they arrived yesterday. There are 22 fat quarters and I also have a book on the way. 
I did some stash enhancement myself this week too--I bought all of these black and white half yards and some blues for my Denver Broncos Football Quilt I want to make before the next football season begins in September. I still need to get a few more blues before I can start that one.
This month's RSC17 color has been red, so I whipped up a couple of Medallion Log Cabin Blocks in red yesterday. I also worked on some other UFO blocks for a charity quilt.
It is nearly April and we only have seven more weeks of school left, but we have not had our Spring Break yet. It is the first week in April and I am looking forward to sleeping in and sewing. Meanwhile, I need to make my end of the year gifts for my fifth graders. This year I decided to make personalized pencil pouches. I hit a fat quarter sale at Joann's a couple of weeks ago and bought a bunch at $1 each. Then, I ordered 9 inch zippers from Zipit Zippers on Etsy. I highly recommend them--they have great prices and color selection as well as speedy and inexpensive shipping!
 I spent this afternoon making some of the pencil pouches. This was my prototype. I cut my fabrics 5.5 x 10.5 inches
I managed to make 8 Personalized Pencil Pouches this afternoon. They are pretty quick and easy to make which is good because I have 21 more to go! I will put a couple of mechanical pencils and some candy in them and have a nice gift for each of my fifth graders when our year is over. Well, I hope to get some more of these pencil pouches done before next weekend. Have a great week!


14 comments:

  1. Lucky you!!! Looks like you're gonna have a really fun Spring break!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a fun time sewing! I never got gifts from my teachers in school, LOL, you are special!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet of you to give these sweet handmade gifts to your students. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your RED blocks turned out great, but I absolutely LOVE those personalized pencil cases for your students!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your win--love those fabrics! What a nice gesture for your students--they will remember you forever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those pouches look great, you sure sew them up quick!! wow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful win. It will be fun for you to play with thst nice new pile of fabric. The pencil pouches are a terrific gift for the kids. It's a very generous thing that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great win on the fabrics.
    Love the pouches you are making for the children. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a quick usable gift idea for your fifth graders. I'm sure they will treasure them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh these are so cute! I'll bet your fifth graders just love them. My bestie is a first grade teacher (and I work in a middle school myself) so I can definitely see some of these in our future!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute, thoughtful gift!!! Your students must love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good heavens you are one ambitious and loving teacher! Glad for our profession and your students.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your fifth graders are lucky kids. How do I know? If you take the time to make a end-of-year gift by hand, then you care a lot. A caring teacher is a gift for a lifetime to a child.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your pencil pouches. The zippered tops have perfect corners. Nice design.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!