Saturday, September 24, 2016

Secret Sewing--Mom's Birthday

I have been doing some secret sewing this last week for my mom's birthday. I have so much fun compiling gifts for other quilters. I made this 16 inch square pillow using mostly Bonnie and Camille fabric and the cottage pillow design from Lori Holt's calendar. My mom recently made Bonnie and Camille's Summerville Quilt using Vintage Picnic fabric for their bed, so I think this will fit in nicely with it.
I picked up this vintage picnic basket for her a couple of months ago. I bought myself one when we were antiquing for my birthday and she seemed a little envious, so when I spotted this one I bought it instantly. The weave on it is so cute. It has some water stains on the trim and top and I considered chalk painting it like mine, but I was not sure what color to use--I was leaning toward pink or green. I figured she can decide on that.
I made this Goody Goody Binding Kit. Here is an excellent tutorial to make one:
It is about 6 x 18 inches. The zippered pocket on the left is perfect for putting binding clips in it. Again, I used Bonnie and Camille fabrics from my stash. I went all over town trying to find a small pair of scissors to put in the strawberry pocket, but could not find a pair that would coordinate. Next to the strawberry and the wool rectangle, is a loop to put thread on. This would also be a nice sewing kit for English paper piecing too.
It folds up nicely into thirds. I am going to make myself one of these sweet binding kits soon!
I added a booklet of mini patterns from Cluck Cluck Sew because my mom loves mini quilts. I put a bottle of Best Press in there and a Scrabble tile holder spelling out "QUILT." I wrapped each item in tissue paper and tied bows around them with left over pieces of binding. I used a ribbon and attached a pack of buttons that I wrote on like a gift tag. Needless to say, my mom was thrilled with the gift! 
We spent today together sewing. She was working on a Sasquatch quilt for my nephew and I finally made the blocks for Lisa Bongean's The Magic of Christmas Sew Along. Here are the details:
Don't look too closely at my blocks as they are not perfect, but they are done and I am all caught up and ready for the next block! I am trying to live by the mantra: Done is better than perfect...
I did finish up the binding on my Bloom Quilt this week. I love how colorful and sweet this one turned out!
 I machine quilted it on the diagonals using my walking foot and wavy stitch. 
 I appliqued an extra tulip block to use as a label. 
After washing, it measures 38 x 48 inches. I am adding this to my stash of baby quilts as a future baby gift! This was my One Monthly Goal (OMG) for September and it has been met and early even. See what everyone else accomplished here:

I am not sure which handwork project I will be working on for Slow Sunday Stitching tomorrow, but I have plenty to choose from! Get inspired over at Kathy's

Enjoy your week!







SaveSave

23 comments:

  1. I have one of those vintage picnic baskets and one not so vintage. I use them in the sewing room to store quilt kits in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so sweet to be able to sew with your mom. I wish I had that. Your gift basket was a thoughtful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very busy time. Your gifts for your mother are delightful. I can see why she enjoyed them. You put together a lovely combination.
    Lovely finish on your Bloom quilt, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely themed gift for your mom. I'm sure she will enjoy it all for many years and have fun using it to store special projects. Belated wishes to her for her special dat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Bloom quilt is so cheerful and looks like a last hurrah for summer weather. What a delightful gift for your mom. I have about a dozen of those vintage picnic baskets. I store lots of quilt things in them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the gift picnic baket you put together for your mom! I bet she will be thrilled with it! Your Bloom quilt turned out so sweet, too. I really like the scrappy sashing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful set of gifts! And that Bloom quilt will be a lovely gift some day too. Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah your mom was happy of course...it's always fun to read about your sewing family and how you all interact :) Love the Bloom quilt! : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah your mom was happy of course...it's always fun to read about your sewing family and how you all interact :) Love the Bloom quilt! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a happy and cheerful Bloom quilt. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE your Bloom Quilt! Everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Bloom Quilt always makes me so happy when I see it! Congrats on meeting your September goal. And what a lovely and thoughtful gift for your mom. No wonder she was thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun and quilty gift for your Mother. I really like your Christmas blocks, what is it about red and white that makes them so striking? Congrats on your pretty and colorful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a pretty quilt! Love the flower on the back, it's a beautiful addition!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love all your cute ideas for your Mother's birthday gift! I'm pinning it to my secret board for my sewing friends and family! Your projects are all so beautiful - especially the last photo of the quilt backing! My mouth literally dropped open at it's beauty! YES! Done is far better than perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree all around, what a gorgeous present. =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Tanya! You made very special present for your mom and I'm sure she was amazed and happy! Those baskets are so nice! I love your Bloom quilt! Wow it's gorgeus! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a thoughtful gift you've given your mom. Any quilter, a mom or not, would be thrilled with it. Your Bloom quit is darling. Someone is going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fun gift basket! I love your motto, "Done is better than perfect." I'm adopting it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You sure know how to pack a post with quilty-goodness! Congrats on your finishes, all lovely:)

    I envy you, quilting with your mother, & I envy your mom too! Fabulous basket!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your Bloom Quilt looks so happy, I really like it!
    Cheers,
    Emese

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have been busy! What a lovely basket you put together for your mum.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and will do my best to reply to them. Thank you for taking the time to comment!!!